Poor lead flashing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm rather worried about the quality of the roof that our builder is doing on our extension.
The lead flashing lacks very poor to me as the lead doesn't follow the contours of the tiles and has large gaps underneath.
What are the views of you professionals ?

Sponsored Links
ooh, nice to see someone leave access for bats in a roof, what a considerate builder.

Seriously though, that is terrible and will be need to be redone, whilst that flashing may stop water getting in from the top it will blow under that flashing very easily.

I'd get the tile second course from the left of the photo and second course down rerplaced too, the interlock is broken

TB.EX Roofer adv.craft/Chartered Surveyor.
Hi-You must allow this chap to finish,and this includes tile replacement as necessary and dressing the lead properly,which on bold roll will not be easy.As you rightly say if this was the finished job it would be no good,however given the missing tiles and work in progress the lead dressing is almost the last thing to do prior to pointing.The lead cover flashing has to follow the profile of the roof tiles as tightly as possible.

Tb.EX Roofer/Surveyor
I should have also mentioned that the length of the cover flashing in one piece should not exceed 2m.(1.5m better)with 150mm side lap.All roofers have seen where the lead has not been able to expand and contract properly.The lead if too long will pull itself to split in any event,this is normal when lead cover flashing is placed in lengths too long.Builders as opposed to roofers often make this mistake of fixing lead in lengths too long.(notwithstanding you can get some builders who are excellent at roofing.lead too long = split lead.

Sponsored Links
TB.EX Roofer adv.craft/Chartered Surveyor.
Hi-You must allow this chap to finish,and this includes tile replacement as necessary and dressing the lead properly,which on bold roll will not be easy.As you rightly say if this was the finished job it would be no good,however given the missing tiles and work in progress the lead dressing is almost the last thing to do prior to pointing.The lead cover flashing has to follow the profile of the roof tiles as tightly as possible.

In reply this photo was taken a couple of days before they finished the job but to be honest it looks virtually the same, apart from where he has used a claw hammer to knock the lead down at the edges !! He has also installed the velux windows and he has used an 'upstand' type flashing so the adjacent tiles are all lifting up. Spoke to velux and they say that he should have made the flashing on site out of lead.

Strange Velux would advise not to use their own flashing...?
Unless, the window is positioned wrongly or the roof pitch is less than 15 degrees (which it looks like it is)

If you pack it up the standard edz wont work.. you would need to fabricate a lead flashing... it''ll look a bodge no matter how good the fabrication is.

it''ll look a bodge no matter how good the fabrication is.

y' tellin me!

i think in this instance i would have bit the bullet and risked fitting the velux normally to the shallow pitch.

the flashings and the velux do not recognise pitch , to them all surfaces are a flat plane, albeit sloping!

i agree velux will not guarantee their product below a certain pitch but it's a damn site better than the alternative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back