Possible need to upgrade 1950s CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother is 96. She lives frugally by herself in the (four-bedroom, eight-radiator) house where she has lived for more than forty years.

Her boiler (Potterton Kingfisher, less than thirty years old) has just been turned off as unsafe, so replacement is needed. The system is old in parts:
- The hot water is gravity fed.
- Between two and five of the radiators (and a towel rail) may be gravity fed and on the hot water circuit.
- Five of the radiators do not have TRVs and are presumably cast iron.
- Some pipes are wide bore and not copper, even to the more recent radiators.
- The flow and return are combined, even to the more recent radiators.
- There is no room thermostat.
- The timing for the central heating and water heating are combined.

(I haven't been able to check some of the exact connectivity yet.)

The hot water cylinder, and the more recent radiators with TRVs, are fifteen years old. The house has thick loft insulation, cavity wall insulation and primary or secondary double glazing. The plan is to keep an open vent system and install a condensing boiler at the far end of a garage attached to the house (to get access to the drain).

My mother doesn't want much disruption, especially as whoever occupies the house next will want to redecorate, rewire, install the latest fashionable gizmos and so on. She doesn't want much expense; she can't get large WarmFront grants. She uses only one of the cast iron radiators (and all three of the more recent ones).

Given that there is to be a new boiler,
- What else needs to be done to have a soundly working system (frost protection, Magnaclean/Spirovent, ...)
- What else needs to be done to comply with the regulations (room thermostat, TRVs throughout, pumped central heating throughout, steel radiators, narrow bore pipes, pumped water heating, independent central heating and water heating time control, ....)
- What problems, if any, would result from formal non-compliance?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the boiler is beyond economic repair & unsafe or has BG been to call??

Sorry, forgot to add; why not get another Gas Safe RGI in to have a look.

I'm sure your Mum will not want a lot of disruption at her age. 96 eh, she must be a wonderful old lady.

Are you sure the boiler is beyond economic repair & unsafe or has BG been to call??
I'm fairly sure. She had someone to come into to look at it when I suggested doing so, having noticed that soot was falling out of the front. He said that it repeatedly failed tests on flue flow and that flames were coming out of the front...
96 eh, she must be a wonderful old lady.
I don't think she'll leave the house willingly for several years yet!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm fairly sure. She had someone to come into to look at it when I suggested doing so, having noticed that soot was falling out of the front. He said that it repeatedly failed tests on flue flow and that flames were coming out of the front...
96 eh, she must be a wonderful old lady.
I don't think she'll leave the house willingly for several years yet!

Thanks

But if it's all working, a proper service and a flue clean is all it needs.

if soot is falling out and flames coming out of the front

what the flying was the point of doing a f/f test until its serviced

get another opinion :eek:

But if it's all working, a proper service and a flue clean is all it needs.
if soot is falling out and flames coming out of the front what the flying was the point of doing a f/f test until its serviced
He serviced it first and tested it afterwards. It wheezes and kettles quite a lot, by the way.

Is it a conventional flue or balance flue.

Do you know the model No.

Is it a conventional flue or balance flue. Do you know the model No.

It has two flues; one goes up the chimney for output and one snakes through the garage for intake from the outside. I expect that means it's balanced.

The model number is CF60 (bought 11/07/19985).

No that means it's a conventional flue.

Did the Engineer clean the flue, and warm it before doing any tests.

Did he clean the sections in the boiler.

Did he check the air vents.

Sounds like the same BG guy that visited my mates house.

How long was he on site working.

I wasn't there when he serviced it, so I can't answer the questions well. My mother says he spent between an hour and an hour and a half on the job. He removed the cover plates, cleaned and warmed something up before testing the flue.

It's not in a cupboard.

He's not from BG. My mother chose him because he had replaced the boiler for a neighbour, with a lower quotation than another engineer proposing more work (big combination boiler instead of modest open vent one). He himself has not suggested that the extra things mentioned in my original post are needed, but that might just be because he hadn't inspected the house enough. (The "other engineer" was the one who suggested that some of them were needed...)

Lets just say there's two things can go wrong.

Flue, dirty, blocked, terminal missing, water ways not cleaned.

Ventilation, papered over, blocked, insufficient.

And that's it, all easily sorted by a competent engineer, that's not generating work. :rolleyes:

Many thanks. However, that still leaves one little problem. How do I find an engineer with the integrity and courage to test and refute a claim by another engineer that a system is unsafe? My mother got the current engineers by asking her neighbours...

That depends where you are, there's plenty on here that may cover the area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back