Possible new boiler needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Our Valiant EcoMax boiler seems to be on the blink. We've got someone coming to look at it on Thursday to have a look, ever the pessimist I'm thinking if the worst comes to the worst and we have to replace it what I should go for.

I can see from the sticky that recommendations aren't posted, if nobody wants to give them, could people advise on ones to avoid?

It seems that our Valiant EcoMax isn't that bad and efficiency wise is pretty good at 91.1%, A rated.

Anyhow, suggestions most welcome. Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
It could be a simple fix. So before wasting time on recommendation, it would be best to establish/identify the fault first.

Hot water was the first problem - I had a shower just fine, then stone cold for my girlfriend, about an hour or so later. Switched boiler off and on again, then it worked.
Next day the same.
Next day hot water for about 30 seconds then freezing cold, switch off and on did nothing to change it.
All this time heating was fine...

Next day the shower was the same then the heating decided to give up.

If we switch the boiler off for ages then turn it on we'll get heating and hot water for a short while.

The only visible symptom on the boiler is the temperature flashing - no error codes or anything else, and the pressure is just fine at about 1.1 bar or so.

When it did the flashing temperature stuff there was an audible knocking sound, not that fast, or that loud, but continuous.

Essentially it sounds like something mechanical is giving up the ghost as it seems to deliver less heating and hot water on a day by day basis :/

Sponsored Links
Should add I think it's about 8 years old (we've only been in the property a year), and the previous owner had it serviced each year, and we had it serviced in about September, when the guy (we've used before) said it was in pretty good knick.

Coincidentally, it first started playing up on one of the bloody cold days after Christmas, first hard frost (well, in London anyhow).

Get it repaired, reasonably good boilers, shouldn't be too hard to fix. It's certainly not worth replacing it

That's certainly what I'm hoping! Usually I'd look t reviews of a big purchase for a little while, however, I figure if I need to choose a new boiler I need to make the decision pretty swiftly!

A colleague said Worcester bosch then valiant, and avoid Pottetton (do they even exist anymore)

Is your colleague an installer?
Or does he have dozens of properties with a different brand of boiler in each?
Or is it that he has a wb in his own property?

He recently got his replaced and looked at Wich 5 star reviews basically, so it's not like I'm taking it as gospel. I've certainly heard about Pottetton being iffy, sure I remember seeing them on Watchdog in the 90s!

But yeah, that's why I was asking for bad ones really, but guess everyone could have a different opinion on this too!

I'd put Vaillant above WB - and wouldn't write off the Potties either.

But if you want the best, Intergas is the boiler to go for.

But, as Muggles says, in his usual sensible fashion, your existing boiler is repairable. Explore that option first, including a fixed price repair from Vaillant themselves.

Good luck, Buddy!

The fixed priced repair from Valiant is exactly what we went for... not before having a local firm visit the day before.

Local firm - 'I think a valve needs replacing but a someone else needs to confirm'
Valiant - 'Needs a new pcb'

So yeah, no heating or hot water until Monday :/ boo!

For the pcb, nope, said he'd be back on Monday apparently (I wasn't there), which is disappointing since he's a Valiant engineer and it's an Ecomax, not like some mega old obscure model!

For the pcb, nope, said he'd be back on Monday apparently (I wasn't there), which is disappointing since he's a Valiant engineer and it's an Ecomax, not like some mega old obscure model!

Nobody wants to carry stock any more, unless fast moving goods!
Everything seems to be bloody order only!

I just hope it sorts everything on Monday - not looking forward to an entire weekend with no heating or hot water... my girlfriend is rather vexxed as you can imagine!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back