possible old lady being ripped off

I would not say that the electrical installation is rough per say just a bit on the old side.
Well the pictures show an install with apparently new cables that are both rough and potentially hazardous.

The new cables are loose in a cupboard that appears to be used for storage, there are two red tube things already mixed with cables. It would be very easy for those cables to be accidently tugged when something was put in or taken out of the cupboard.

The boiler manufacturers correctly require an RCD to be fitted. There does not appear to be one. A failed element where the live element wire comes in contact with water is un-likely to trip an over current device but the fault will result in electrolysis of the water into a highly explosive mixure of oxgen and hydrogen trapped in the pipe work. If the wire then touches the inside of the heater and sparks it could ignite the gases and explode the boiler and maybe other parts of the pipe work. An RCD will almost certainly trip when current flows from the live element into the water and thus prevent further electroylsis.

Sponsored Links
From the details on the paper work the person who installed it is actually a builder who runs his own company. I think this is even more alarming as its not just a "handyman". According to the builders website they do the following:

Porches & Conservatories
Extensions
Re-Roofing
Kitchens
Bathrooms
Sheds & Garages
Landscaping
Brickwork
Blockpaving
Driveways
Patios & Decking
Ponds
Lawns
Terraced Bedding
Fencing

Sponsored Links
Just because it doesn't conform to current regulations does not mean that the installation is not safe.
It's not safe or compliant, as that Wylex box is a maximum of 30A per way, and that Trianco boiler will draw 40A or more.

Even if the Wylex box was of the type where a device over 30A could be fitted (it isn't), it would have to be installed in the position nearest the main switch, which it clearly hasn't been.

Thanks everyone. I'm amazed by the response. Every one has been very helpful. I was worried I was being silly and people would say its fine but clearly it is not just the mess, bad plumbing but also electrics. Scary stuff. I don't know how people can do this to other people. What if it caught fire and she died. How do some people sleep at night? I have emailed trading standards. Thanks again for all your advice.

Hi all.

I would like to thank you all for your help and give you an update.

This morning one of the people who installed it was with her when I popped round. I assume he had seen the print out from this forum I left with her as he was very quick to tell me that one radiator doesn’t work as they plumbed it in the wrong way round, but apart from that the system is safe and good apart from that.

Unconvinced, we arranged a central heating engineer to visit he in person this afternoon. He told us that he started his business having seen an old lady being ripped off before and would give an honest opinion. He described the system as “atrocious” and “the worst installation” he had ever seen. He made it safe for her, but to put it right he estimated it will cost about £1000. He is returning tomorrow with an electrician to ensure that side of it is at least safe.

She agreed that she should report them to trading standards so that is something. Unfortunately I suspect they may well keep popping round for tea and keep up their “befriending” and she may well accept this as she is lonely, but hopefully her eyes have been opened so that may be useful to prevent them ripping her off again. I will contact some groups who can offer support for this as hopefully we have made some progress. Once again for everyone taking the time and effort to reply. I am very grateful and it helps remind me there are some good people in the world still.

Power to the people !!!!!!!!!

One thing still a bit "odd" why would plumbing a radiator back to front prevent it from working ???

Sorry I may have been inaccurate with what i said. He said that there it was plumbed flow in and the flow out of the radiator was the wrong way round. This was the pipes under her lounge floor which stopped the radiator in her kitchen working. Does this make more sense?

Sorry I may have been inaccurate with what i said. He said that there it was plumbed flow in and the flow out of the radiator was the wrong way round. This was the pipes under her lounge floor which stopped the radiator in her kitchen working. Does this make more sense?

One for the plumbers :?: :?: :?:

Just for the benifiet of those of us who don't have much to do with mechanical services, can someone point out the full list of faults with the plumbing?

As far as I can see...

The pipes running up the nicely papered wall are an eyesore
The soldering on the joints is rough
Theres a a section in there where a pipe goes to a piece of equipment that seems to have been an attempt to use up as many 90 bends as posisble?

Some Thermostatic Radiator Valves are designed for a flow in one particular direction. That's all I can think of.

The soldering on the joints is rough
Theres a a section in there where a pipe goes to a piece of equipment that seems to have been an attempt to use up as many 90 bends as posisble?
I wonder what that 'piece of equipment' is? A fair bit of that pipework, including that collection of bends, doesn't look particularly new to me; I wonder if we're blaming the right guy for all of the 'imperfections'?! Maybe this is not the first time the lady has been ripped off?

Kind Regards, John

I wonder what that 'piece of equipment' is?

I think its a pressure releif valve / expansion valve , afaik that water heater is designed for vented taps that drip hot water to stop the tank building up pressure, if you fit that valve you can use normal taps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back