possible old lady being ripped off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I hvae posted in the plumbing section as well as this is electrical as well.

I am concerned that a little old lady who lives near me may be getting ripped off. I do not know much about plumbing or central heating systems, hence would appreciate any advice anyone could give me.

She recently had an electric central heating system installed by a “Handyman” type guy who seems to have taken to trying to befriend her, having cups of tea with her whilst trying to find new jobs to do in her home.

He installed this system. The pipes are not hidden instead are in the corner of he kitchen which looks terrible. There appears to burn marks on the wall behind the pipes. It all looks quite messy.

I have taken some pictures of the pipe work and heating bit. I do not believe the bloke is a qualified electrician / plumber. She has paid for the work, but appears embarrassed when I talk about it with her. Unfortunately she lives alone so is quite vulnerable to people trying to take advantage or her.

I am slightly worried that 1) she has been ripped off and 2) it may be dangerous 3) should I speak to trading standards 4) what qualifications do you need and what happens if he hasn’t got them?

The pressure was reading at 1500 but is now at 500. Is this bad?

He has also “laid” some new carpet for her. This has just been placed on top the old carpet, isn’t stuck down and doesn’t fit. I have included the pictures as the quality of this work also leads me to believe he is not a good tradesperson. Even with my limited knowledge of diy this is not good.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rach

Sponsored Links
Looks messy, whether it can be consider unsafe is a different issue.
Did the man in question leave any commissioning paper work with the lady.
If the pressure has dropped from 1.5 bar to 0.5 bar that would indicate a possible leak. Over what period of time did this pressure value drop.
Have you got the trademan's details if he is registered this can be confirmed.

Sponsored Links
I dont know hw much she paid. When asked she became very cagey and embarassed. I think she is worried she has been ripped off as well but blames herself and does not know what to do. How much would something like that cost? I have no idea. Also do need certain qualifications to install this or can anyone do it?

Installing the electrics will require being a member of a scheme, which will require qualifications.
The scope maybe defined rather than full, but qualification will be needed along with an assessment of the persons work.
Unless notification has been made to building controls

She did not get any paper work and I doub very much anything was checked or anything like that. Is this something she can do retrospectively? What can she do?

You mention pressure dropping from 1.5 bar to 0.5 bar and in the picture that red object looks like a pressure vessel which stongly suggest it is an un-vented system.

Un-vented systems require at least two safety devices to safely release pressure, which might be scalding hot steam, should the heating controls fail to control temperaure and over heat the water

I believe un-vented systems can only legally be installed by technicians with a qualification in un-vented system.

If no paper work was provided then contact Trading Standards and local building control department.

Thank you everyone for all your assistance. It is much appreciated. I have spoken to her at length and it really helped that I could give her opinions of people who know what they are talking about and also have very kindly given up their time to help. She is embarrassed about it.

I have found some paper work from the bloke who installed it. Does anoyone know how I can check if he is suitably qualified to install the system?

I have added some more pictures incase this helps at all? The grey cables going to the bottom left of the cupboard go to the heating system

ouch thats looks pretty rough.
Some of those electrics look pretty dated and i would have thought some would need to be upgraded to incorporate new circuits.
Did he give the lady any electrical certification??

sorry seen above that no certification was given.

I have jsut looked at the Trianco Aztek web site. The installations instructions for the boiler have not been followed.

http://www.trademate.co.uk/ProductExtra/T7609/Tech/aztecclassic.pdf

If you cannot trace the dangerous criminal who installed it then it is possible Trianco may be prepared to assist with recommending a technician who can install it properly. They may also assist in other ways as his attrocious and probably illegal work creates the risk of their equipment causing harm due to its in-correct installation. If they have the serial number they may be able advise the retailer not to sell any more to the criminal.

Definately contact trading standards and the local authority and possibly the local crime prevention officer may be interested to prevent other vulnerable people being put at risk.

I would not say that the electrical installation is rough per say just a bit on the old side. Just because it doesn't conform to current regulations does not mean that the installation is not safe. For example i would not condemn an existing installation with no RCD protection on the lighting circuit as this also does not conform with current regs. But if this "handyman" has installed a new circuit for the heating an installation certificate would be required and notification to building control prior to commencement. To substitute the word rough for non compliant is wrong.

Andy

welcome back elrobbo im sure the mods will be able to check this ip address!!!

And as for the pretty rough i was referring to the heating installation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back