possible old lady being ripped off

Sorry I may have been inaccurate with what i said. He said that there it was plumbed flow in and the flow out of the radiator was the wrong way round. This was the pipes under her lounge floor which stopped the radiator in her kitchen working. Does this make more sense?

Some Thermostatic Radiator Valves are designed for a flow in one particular direction. That's all I can think of.

you are correct, although it's more than likely a balancing issue that is being described

I wonder what that 'piece of equipment' is?

Kind Regards, John

It's an expansion vessel john (the same as what the red one is....but white)

all in all I think the op is justified in being concerned, the workmanship is awful

Matt

Sponsored Links
Ah. That was my first thought, given what it was connected to, but then I saw what I thought was probably some sort of control knob on it, so I went a bit off that idea; is that perhaps a pressure gauge - or maybe just decoration :) ?

Kind Regards, John.

Ah. That was my first thought, given what it was connected to, but then I saw what I thought was probably some sort of control knob on it,

I wonder what that 'piece of equipment' is?

I think its a pressure releif valve / expansion valve , afaik that water heater is designed for vented taps that drip hot water to stop the tank building up pressure, if you fit that valve you can use normal taps

Do you mean the square thing, thats an undersink water heater with a thermostat dial

Do you mean the square thing, thats an undersink water heater with a thermostat dial
Aha, of course (aI've just realised what matt1e was looking at, and that's obvioulsy an expansion vessel!) - but can you explain how it's plumbed?

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Ah. That was my first thought, given what it was connected to, but then I saw what I thought was probably some sort of control knob on it, so I went a bit off that idea; is that perhaps a pressure gauge - or maybe just decoration :) ?

Kind Regards, John.

If we are talking about the same thing (the white vessel at the top, to the right of the light fitting) then the black "knob" in the centre of it is the schrader valve used for repressurising it, with a cap on it (exactly the same as your cars tyre valves)
the one in the picture is (or should be) on the cold inlet side to take up the back pressure caused by the expansion of the heated water but if there is the need for an expansion vessel then there should also be a non return valve fitted on the cold before it (which I can't see), also the relief valve (to the left of it) is teed into the central heating relief pipe work, (or maybe the hot water heater was there first) either way it should ideally be via a tundish and they both should be discharging into larger pipework

Matt

Aha, of course (aI've just realised what matt1e was looking at, and that's obvioulsy an expansion vessel!) - but can you explain how it's plumbed?

Kind Regards, John.

yes, its two different systems you are looking at mate sharing some common pipework, the unit on the left is providing central heating and the one on the right domestic hot water

Matt

yes, its two different systems you are looking at mate sharing some common pipework, the unit on the left is providing central heating and the one on the right domestic hot water
Right - now I understand. Thanks.

Kind Regards, John.

Just for the benifiet of those of us who don't have much to do with mechanical services, can someone point out the full list of faults with the plumbing?
From what can be seen in the pictures:
Sideways pic, however the larger white box is a Trianco Aztec electric boiler, flow in at the bottom, flow out at the top. Pump (black/red) to the side of it. Pump appears to be wired into the boiler as it should be.
The red cylinder is an expansion vessel, below which is a pressure gauge and filling loop (the silver braided hose). There should be a pressure relief valve also - does not appear to be one, which means in the event of a fault, the hot water will expand and cause one or more joints to fail under high pressure, which is extremely dangerous - if the water is heated over 100c, it will stay as water under pressure, then when something fails, it will spray out and instantly turn to massive amounts of boiling hot steam. Look on Youtube for the Mythbusters exploding water heater to see what can happen.

The square white box is an Ariston Europrisma stored water heater, again has flow in/out. Usually about 10 litres, water is heated and stored so when the tap is turned on you get a modest amount of instant hot water. Normally installed under a sink and suitable for one or possibly two outlets only. Useless for a bath or shower, so presumably there is also a hot water cylinder elsewhere heated by the Aztec boiler - however that raises the question of why have this smaller heater at all?
The pipes connected to it are not supported in any way, and the excessive numbers of bends will restrict the flow significantly.
The white cylinder above is another expansion vessel, which doesn't appear to be supported either.
All of the soldered joints have far too much solder on them, the pipes are blackened which suggests overheating.

Here, the pipes are not supported at all - no clips or anything else to secure them.

That short stub of pipe with an end cap on is totally useless, and should not be there. Suggests this is old pipe which has been reused, or it was installed and then significantly modified. Note the vast amounts of solder on the outside of the pipes, and the black/green everywhere which is a sign of overheating when it was soldered.
There are multiple couplers in the straight sections of pipe, all of which are totally unnecessary, and also suggests random old bits of pipe were used rather than new.

Another unsupported pipe, appearing from some random position in the floor.
Proper way is to have the pipe directly into the floor under the valve, or if that is not possible for whatever reason, both pipes should exit the floor in the same place, then go up and be fixed to the wall behind the radiator, then drop down with a bend into the valves, so you don't see most of the pipe.

Burnt and blackened mess running down pipes, probably due to excess flux being used and not being cleaned away afterwards. Far too much solder.

Pressure gauge, red line indicates correct system pressure, black should be at the same place.
Normally pressure should be 1-2 bar, pressure shown is too low, and if falling is due to one or more leaks.

The red cylinder is an expansion vessel, below which is a pressure gauge and filling loop (the silver braided hose). There should be a pressure relief valve also - does not appear to be one,

Hi flameport, the relief valve is there, its part of the pressure guage assy if you look closely you can just make out the red knob on the valve directly below the pressure gauge
the 15mm pipe work running directly down from the EV is the discharge
all other points agreed with

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back