Possible Speeding Ticket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was driving to a friends and I definitely saw a flash in my rear view from a speed camera I think I was going about 35ish. I can't be sure

Now after some googling and checking up the camera was facing the oncoming direction and I think there was a car on the other side.

It is a Truvelo camera that takes pictures from the front.

Now I have never had points or a fine in my life so was wondering with the latest changes has anyone recently faced a speeding ticket?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like somebody else set it off.

If its you, 35 means you will get the chance of a speed awareness course........

Sponsored Links
Sounds like somebody else set it off.

If its you, 35 means you will get the chance of a speed awareness course........

Not if it was a 20 mph limit..

London now is full of 20 mph limits...its a bloody pain

I think the usual allowance is something like 10% plus 2 or 3 mph. But each individual area can set their own limits.
The same is true of speed awareness courses in that certain limits are defined, except that not all areas provide or allow for the courses.
Certainly, 35 in a 30 zone is either dismissed or due a speed awareness course, if your area provides for them.

Truvelo camera that takes pictures from the front

Not always, they can be bi-directional.

Look up the camera on Google StreetView, if it doesn't have the black lines just before the triple white lines, then it doesn't work in your direction.

speedcameralines.jpg

Last edited:
Do they put cameras on the 'wrong' side of the road?

Yes.

'Ordinary' Truvelo cameras can work in both directions across both lanes(depends on the Piezo-electric transducers in the road, as in the lines I just mentioned), Truvelo D-Cam does both, all the time.

truvelo-d-cam.jpg

Old school GATSOs only work from behind in 'your' direction, as do the HADECS3 cameras, like on the M1 in Beds and Herts and on the M25.

Last edited:
Go for a spin with the sat nav speedo on - see what your actual speed was when doing 35 on the car speedo? Normally much lower...

Go for a spin with the sat nav speedo on - see what your actual speed was when doing 35 on the car speedo? Normally much lower...

Thats certainly true, 35 on a car speedometer is prob 32 -so within the allowance.

Not always, they can be bi-directional.

Look up the camera on Google StreetView, if it doesn't have the black lines just before the triple white lines, then it doesn't work in your direction.

View attachment 147674

Thanks a lot. Just checked on Streetview it has the black lines only in the oncoming direction. It is the old Truvelo not the new ones pictured above.

I am not sure, but I thought I heard somewhere that the new ones don't have lines at all. I could be wrong there! :)

Sponsored Links
Back