Potterton Boiler Control 407676 resistor value.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any one suggest a value for R10, probably 100 ohms?
Feeds the voltage dropper arrangement for the PCB low voltage supply.

Perhaps some kind person could confirm the value by looking at theirs.
or I will have to take a trip round to a favourite friend of mine, and explore her boiler ;)

regards,

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. It's all sorted. The R10 resistor value is 1K ohm, and replaced with 1K, 3 watt wire wound from Maplin, part number W1K. All working for the price of 16p and travel costs. :)

Oh, how I love it when a plan comes together :) That's called satisfaction.

regards,

Sponsored Links
Sorry, it's the Electronic / Communication / Data / Computer Engineer in me speaking. I thought I was in similar surroundings of exaltation and expertise ;) :)

Thanks again,

Ccow what does it do? I was thinking it was a resistor to make the fan go slow, but 3W wouldn't be much good, it would have to be something like 30W.

3watt is the maximum amount of heat that that the resistor can safely disipate and still continue to work

2181i0.jpg

this is a 10 watt resistor

5729i0.jpg

this is a 2 watt resistor

you will notcice the physical size difference

I have to confess i did not note what value these resistors are when i borrowed the pics

I get the impression Ccow is trying to tell the regulars that he is better than them having changed a resistor. Does he know what caused the resistor to fail in the first place? What was the resistor tolerance on the OEM board.

I wouldn't dare to suggest that I was better then others . It's all perception anyway, and if you perceive me to be better or worse, then others, then be my guest :) All I was trying to get across was a thank you, and information that might be of use to someone somewhere at sometime in the future. Just paying back.

It's a resistor in series with the mains live supply, via a 3 amp fuse. If there had been a major problem on the board, the fuse would have failed. The resistor feeds via a drop capacitor, a low voltage rectifier and zener diode which supplies the gas valve solenoid and spark generator circuits. I didn't look at any more of the PCB, as it wasn't neccessary in this case.

The resistor probably failed through normal old age, or an adverse environment over time. I did however notice that the PCB I inspected to check on the original value, was a newer design and although the resistor was the same type, it was mounted on the board slightly differently, although I wouldn't expect that to have much of an effect.

Some resistors in circuits are designed to be sacrificial in case of a fault, when they act as fuses and blow. I decided in this case, it probably wasn't being used as such, just a current limiter into the low voltage supply stage, of the AC mains.

regards,

Looks like it's heated up a fair bit in it's lifetime - one of the legs out of the resistor to the PCB has fractured and seem to have carried on arcing for a while.

Just taken it off and found printed on the side "W22, 5k1, 5%".

Bought a refurbished board off eBay this morning for £30 - they refund you some money if you send the old one back. Seems like a rpetty good deal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back