Potterton Gold Combi HE Boiler condense pipe leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,
Having a bit of trouble with my boiler. Our Boiler is located upstairs and the condense pipe drains onto the roof of our extension outside (not ideal I know). When the boiler is in use for extended periods of time, say when the heating is on, a small but steady flow of water is coming out of the condense pipe outside. I've checked the expansion tanks pressure, the PRV is not leaking, just the condense pipe. I'm lead to believe it's the heat exchanger, the only issue is I can't seem to make sense of online forums and articles wether it is the main heat exchanger or the plate heat exchanger. I know I can replace the plate heat exchanger but I understand if it's not this then a new boiler maybe in the cards. Which one could it be?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
When your boiler is operating / central heating on ,there will be a stream of water exiting the condensate pipe ,it's normal.

Hi Everyone,
Having a bit of trouble with my boiler. Our Boiler is located upstairs and the condense pipe drains onto the roof of our extension outside (not ideal I know). When the boiler is in use for extended periods of time, say when the heating is on, a small but steady flow of water is coming out of the condense pipe outside.
Quite normal

When your boiler is operating / central heating on ,there will be a stream of water exiting the condensate pipe ,it's normal.
Apologies, I missed out one big point, it then looses pressure! I then have to put pressure back into the boiler before it will work again.

Sponsored Links
When heating is on for an hour ,does pressure rise to around 3 bar ?
When boiler is not in use at all ,does water drop from the condensate pipe ?

When heating is on for an hour ,does pressure rise to around 3 bar ?
When boiler is not in use at all ,does water drop from the condensate pipe ?
Yes to when heating is on and I haven't noticed any water coming from the pipe when the boiler isn't in use.

If your pressure rises to 3 bar ,the PRV would lift and let water out to drop the pressure. And your EV isn't functioning as it should ,may need recharging or replacing.

If your pressure rises to 3 bar ,the PRV would lift and let water out to drop the pressure. And your EV isn't functioning as it should ,may need recharging or replacing.
Yes the relief vale pipe does then drip when the heating is on. What do you mean by EV? is this the expansion tank? I'm guessing expansion vessel? I did check the pressure earlier and it was around 1bar. Do you think it could need more??

Yes EV/ exp. Vessel
You are not checking the EV charge pressure correctly.

Yes EV/ exp. Vessel
You are not checking the EV charge pressure correctly.
Okay, how would you recommend checking the pressure? And at what point would you advise on replacement? Thanks by the way for taking the time to help me here!

If you press the pin on the Schrader valve atop of the EV ,does water spew out ?
Does water drip from the PRV pipe when boiler isn't working ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back