Potterton Kingfisher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hoping someone knowledgeable here can help me out.

I have a Potterton Kingfisher boiler which broke down last week. The plumber said it was the control box (which was only replaced a year ago after ignition problems ) and came to replace it today.

All was fine - for about an hour, when the boiler started overheating and the red lockout light came on. I've turned the boiler thermostat right down, but even so, I get a maximum of 5 mins before the boiler locks out, and it's 10 mins or so before I can reset it.

The heating engineer said that the problem is that the system needs flushing out - a power flush. However, this is not covered by my insurance, and whilst if it solves the problem, of course I'm happy to pay for it, I'm very unwilling to spend cash if the problem still stands at the end of it.

From your experience, is this the most likely cause of the problem? It seems so unlikely to me that this latest problem hasn't somehow been caused by the poking around the heating engineer did. I never previously had any issues with this.

Is there any other likely cause of this issue that I can ask the insurance company to provide a second opinion on?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
sounds more like a fault with the pump if the problem was sludge it would have got gradually worse not straight away

Thanks - the pump IS working though... Could it be that it's not working to maximum efficiency?

If you're talking BG, nothing would surprise me.

Check if the engineer turned the pump speed down or closed a valve to slow the circulation.

Sponsored Links
It's not BG - it's a contractor through my home emergency insurance.

I don't think he touched the pump, but how would I check it? I'm a total novice (and unashamed girl) about this sort of thing. What am I looking for on the pump?

(At least I know where the pump is!)

Thanks again!

Laura

What speed is it set on, turn it up to 3 if it's not there already.

Can you hear if the pumps working.

Do you have any motorized valves.

The pump is working, and I've just checked, it's turned up to 3, which appears to be the highest setting.

I have no idea about motorised valves - sorry!

I have just spoken to the plumber again who says the reason the sludge is causing a problem now when it wasn't before is that as the boiler has been standing not working for a few days, the sludge has solidified, so now needs a power flush. This sounded feasible to me - or am I gullible!

Living in London - what's a reasonable amount to pay for such a service, should I go down that route?

Thanks.

Living in London
get your plumber to give you a written quote stating that after powerflushing your boiler will operate perfectly. if after powerflushing he has to purchase any parts for your boiler to operate perfectly he will refund in full all monies charged for powerflushing.

if he agrees and all goes ok re flushing, then a flush is what was needed.
if after a flush its not working still, you will have a clean system,he will be found out for the rapscallion he sounds,his reputation in tatters and you can move to the next stage.

best of luck laura

A tricky one to judge really, I don't believe him for one minute :eek:

Could be a faulty part he fitted, or he may have tweaked the gas up who knows.

If you anywhere in the N or central postcode look up Agile and get him in, at least we know you won't get ripped off.

I have just spoken to the plumber again who says the reason the sludge is causing a problem now when it wasn't before is that as the boiler has been standing not working for a few days, the sludge has solidified, so now needs a power flush. This sounded feasible to me - or am I gullible!

never heard so much balls for a long time :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Well, parts are covered under my home emergency insurance, so if the power flush doesn't sort the problem, I shouldn't at least get ripped off for parts.

I have been quoted £300 to power flush (3 radiators, but none currently have working valves).

I do live fairly centrally in London so would definitely be interested in getting Agile to quote - how would I contact him?

Many thanks guys - restoring my faith in the world!

It's not BG - it's a contractor through my home emergency insurance.

Thanks again!

Laura

My experience of those schemes is that they get contractors to bid for the work and thats results in very low payments which means they cannot employ competent people.

I went to this lady who was suspicious of their claim that it needed a £600 power flush and a new boiler.

All that turned out to be wrong was that there was some air and a few seconds to open a manual air bleed screw sorted it out!

She complained to the contractor and they sent their "senior technician" who admitted their guy had made a mistake and the firm subsequently agreed to repay her our £114 fee.

Tony

Well, parts are covered under my home emergency insurance, so if the power flush doesn't sort the problem, I shouldn't at least get ripped off for parts.

I have been quoted £300 to power flush (3 radiators, but none currently have working valves).

I do live fairly centrally in London so would definitely be interested in getting Agile to quote - how would I contact him?

Many thanks guys - restoring my faith in the world!

I cannot power flush unless the radiator valves are working ( at least not properly! )

If you are in the charging zone and without parking we would be quoting rather more than £300. I cannot compete with rip off merchants!

Its quite possible there is another problem, anyway! Just getting it power flushed ( badly too if anyone agrees to do it without working valves ) may well make no difference and you will not be able to make any claim from your contractors for their wrong diagnosis. They are usually angling to do a power flush as their "private cash job".

The whole senario with valves not working sounds as if your system has been totally neglected and that you expect the "emergency" insurance to be a substitute for normal routine service and repairs.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back