Potterton Powermax HE - Remote Programmer (Nest)

Sponsored Links
HWl = Hot water live wire (Goes to Nest terminal 5 - Hot water common)
HWr = Hot water return wire (Goes to Nest terminal 6 - Hot water call for heat)

CHl = Central heating live wire (Goes to Nest terminal 2 - Heating common)
CHr = Central heating return wire (Goes to Nest terminal 3 - Heating call for heat)

N2 = Neutral supply to Nest
L2 = Live supply to Nest

You will have to insert a link between terminals TR and TL when the existing thermostat is removed.

The switch has to be to the left (as you look at it) to hand control off to the nest, and the on-board timer set to off. Couple of pictures included below

In terms of telling whether it's working... If your shower gets cold in a couple of days, it's not! I found (when mine wasn't working as one of the wires had slipped in the terminal) that the hot water tank kept the water hot for 2-3 days all by itself!

View attachment 126064 View attachment 126065
View attachment 126064

I have set up my Nest as detailed above. My central heating is definitely working. However if I switch off the programmer using S9 button then my hot water doesn't work. When i switch on the programmer, i do get hot water and i cant control it using nest. Using the nest app if boost hot water for half an hour i do hear a click from the heat link but nothing happens at the boiler. Today water was really cold and so had to switch on the internal programmer. Did anyone have similar problems. Any advice?

I have set up my Nest as detailed above. My central heating is definitely working. However if I switch off the programmer using S9 button then my hot water doesn't work. When i switch on the programmer, i do get hot water and i cant control it using nest. Using the nest app if boost hot water for half an hour i do hear a click from the heat link but nothing happens at the boiler. Today water was really cold and so had to switch on the internal programmer. Did anyone have similar problems. Any advice?
Yes...Ish. check the connections between the boiler and the heat link, make sure the stripped wires are all the way into the terminals on the heat link - I'd not got one quite right so it didn't heat the water at first.

Sponsored Links
All working good now. Inserted the wire for hot water little more deeper on the link box and switched off the internal programmer. Hot water on schedule. Great going. Love it.

We have connected our nest to the Potterton Powermax HE as you have written but still cannot get it to control the heating. Do we need to do something to the settings on the boiler itself to get it to work?

We have connected our nest to the Potterton Powermax HE as you have written but still cannot get it to control the heating. Do we need to do something to the settings on the boiler itself to get it to work?
Have you disabled the on-board timer with the little switch just above the wiring connections on the front of the boiler?

Yes we have done that. Please can you check the wiring in these photos
received_10159467159655704.jpeg
received_10159467158810704.jpeg
received_10159467159655704.jpeg

Only while I tested it. Can't see it's going to make much difference to the connection.

Do we need to do anything else to the boiler settings apart from switching off the controls with the s9 please?

The thermostat has been disconnected. Is that what you mean? I've linked TL and TR as you have in yours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back