Potterton Prima F30 - lighting my fire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Prima F30 boiler that has a history of the ignition going out. The pump was replaced in June this year.

Theignition cut out again a few days ago when I put the central heating on for the first time this winter. A plumber was called who told me it had overheated and said that this was due to the way I used the boiler. He said that it had overheated because I didn't leave hot water on continuous and switched it on and off as needed.

I have doubts about this although I know nothing about such matters. It just doesn't make sense.

However, I have left the hot water on continuous, as advised, and it has still cut out. The pump is working and lights on the timer and thermostat are on but the boiler pilot light is out.

Could anyone throw some light on whether switching the timer for the hot water off and on about once every other day would have such a bad effect on the boiler, causing it to overheat and causing possible permanent damage? It just seems a bit of a coincidence that it has happened when the central heating has been put on.

I am grateful for any help on this and in non-techy language.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
First have you left the boiler temperature control at maximum?

If so turn it well back and see what happens.

Have you also been turning individual rads off too?

The flow round the system may be too slow. There should be about 10° difference between the heating pipes under the boiler.

Is your pump on at least setting "2"?

Tony

Thanks for taking the trouble to answer. To answer your question the boiler thermostat is not on max and the pump setting is 2.

Do you think switching the hot water on and off regularly can cause the boiler to overheat? If so, how does this happen? The plumber who came said it stopped the fan from cooling the system causing it to overheat.

Do you think switching the hot water on and off regularly can cause the boiler to overheat? If so, how does this happen? The plumber who came said it stopped the fan from cooling the system causing it to overheat.

pump may not be wired to the overrun stat in the boiler :idea:

Sponsored Links
The same effect and cause will happen if you are turning off the power to the boiler for some reason.

Withe a properly installed system with independent control of the CH and HW then operating the programmer should not cause any problem.

But it does sound as if either its not properly wired or you are not using it correctly.

In any case, if properly controled the cylinder stat will turn off the boiler when its hot so you should not be interfering with it yourself.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back