potterton profile 50 e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help on this fault that i've had on a potterton profile 50 e, boiler will fire up run up to temperature most time, click off then come back on after a correct period which is fine ,but once in a while it will light up run for 5 mins then, cut out (main burner goes out) pilot stays on (but its auto version) the gas valve has been replaced by myself yesterday & set up correctly 12.5mb & gas rate 18.21kw, the only thing i can think off is a loose connection on pcb ect as pilot solenoid has 237v and main burner solenoid nothing when fault happends,but has 237 when boiler runs fine, i also get a clonking at main burner solenoid when fault happens, any suggestions ??

Sponsored Links
Assuming it's shutting the main burner off at correct temperature I would suspect PCB, as you say not cutting power to pilot solenoid. If it's shutting down before temp reached I would still suspect the PCB.

yea it does shut off, but the pilot still stays on, but its intermitten fault

Sponsored Links
He's already changed the gas valve.

He/she may have, (you only have his/her words to go on) but I thought we were duty bound not to advise DIYers to delve inside the boiler, whether have already done so or not.

Paul.

You advising opening up the combustion chamber?

Paul.

Do we have to go to the stupid lengths of putting 'a gas safe engineer could' before every piece of information?, it's on virtually every post and it's getting ridiculous.

All this info is in the M.I.s handed over with the boiler.

so freely available .

All gas safety information is available in a library, from regulations to fault finding. Assembly and removal of all components is in the instructions which legally has to be handed to the customer on completion and a householder is perfectly entitled to work on their own appliance.

I'm not encouraging anyone to actually work on an appliance but I am defending their right to have the knowledge to.

All gas safety information is available in a library, from regulations to fault finding. Assembly and removal of all components is in the instructions which legally has to be handed to the customer on completion and a householder is perfectly entitled to work on their own appliance.

I'm not encouraging anyone to actually work on an appliance but I am defending their right to have the knowledge to.

I agree. I am also following forum rules not to advise it. The customer can do what they like as far as I'm concerned, but Im not prepared to 'help them on their way' with this type of job.

If Im 'anal' so be it.

Paul.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back