Potterton Profile 80e ignites, heats then won't restart

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a Potterton Profile 80e. It was installed in 1993 and has worked well until recently. The problem now is as follows:
It will start normally and run for a certain period of time, perhaps for an hour, perhaps all morning or all evening. All radiators and the hot water cylinder will heat.
At some point the thermostat will switch off the burner as normal but the burner will not then relight for the next cycle. At this point the fan will start but there will be no ignition spark. Sometimes the pilot light will be visible, sometimes not. The fan will continue to run until I turn off the whole system.
If I lightly touch the reset button I will get a spark which may restart the burner. If I do this, the chances are that at the start of the next cycle the burner will again fail to light.
Can anyone suggest what might be happening? I've so far had one visit from a heating engineer who didn't really seem to have a clue. He hasn't got back to me... so I'm going to try and find someone else. When I do I'd like to know a bit about what both of us are talking about. I'd be grateful for any advice... Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back