Potterton Proforma 28 Gas valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend has a Potterton Proforma 28 combi, about 10 years old. She says "there is now a loud click", and could I see what is happening. The noise is from the gas valve. I put my finger on the valve and it is the solenoid. The valve works OK just a loud click when the solenoid is activated. The click was never so loud. I told her it is working fine.

She is frightened of a breakdown leaving her without heat and hot water and would buy the part ready so that when it fails a service man can just fit it without waiting a day or so to order the part. Good thinking thought I. It is a Honeywell gas valve with a black solenoid unit on the valve. It also has a yellow modulating part on the valve. The black solenoid part looks like it can screw on and off and is replaceable as screws are either side of it. I looked on the web and cannot see this as a separate item. If it can be ordered and put next to the combi in case of failure that would be ideal.

The questions are:
1. Is this louder click an indication it is about to fail?
2. Is the solenoid part available as a separate item?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Something we can't advise about just give engineer a ring won't take him long
To source part, readily available.
ThNks
Paul

As far as I know, you need to buy the whole valve as the coil isn't replaceable on these. Let your service engineer source it for you - they'll almost certainly be able to get it at a cheaper price than you can and won't have to worry about how well such a safety-critical part has been treated in their absence if they obtain it as a new part when you need it. It's readily available

Sponsored Links
The click could also be the result of another control or component breaking down, so why not call someone to make a proper diagnosis? You could well be wasting money on a gas valve that is perfectly ok.

As far as I know, you need to buy the whole valve as the coil isn't replaceable on these. Let your service engineer source it for you
The idea is to have the part ready for when he is called in to fix it immediately (a critical stand-by part), so the part is there ready. The cost is not a problem, it is knowing if the solenoid is a separate item, or the whole valve has to be purchased. I did make that clear. It will be in a sealed plastic bag and clearly new. No one is going to play football with it ;) If the solenoid is not a separate item then the whole valve will be bought ready. £75 from Amazon.

The clicking noise is clearly the solenoid making a louder click when activating, when previously it was softer. I have assessed that. I do not need to get a man to say where the click is coming from. It is probably not an electrical problem, rather mechanical. But is it due for failure soon? The collective experience here may tell me.

All work on or associated with gas valves needs to be done by an RGI.

You seem to be rather blinkered with your assessment of what is wrong.

Could you expand your thinking to consider that its possible that too much voltage is being applied to the valve and the valve itself is fine?

It probably is the gas valve though but also it will probably carry on working noisily for another few years!

The valve is available anywhere off the shelf.

Not all engineers will fit your Ebay or Amazon sourced valves. They may also be subtly different from that in the boiler too! Most want to fit one from the makers spares department box!

Tony

Appreciate it can sometimes save money when sourcing part yourself but as Tony says, most engineers will only guarantee the work and parts they source themselves and that's usually from the manufacturer to ensure compatibility and quality.

E.g. - what if they fit the part you supply and 4 weeks later it has a fault or there is an issue, who's responsible to fix and who pays for it?

All work on or associated with gas valves needs to be done by an RGI.
I know that. Or is it a RGSI? If you read what I write you would have got it. Can you expand your assessment on a louder solenoid click?
Could you expand your thinking to consider that its possible that too much voltage is being applied to the valve and the valve itself is fine?
Ah so you have assessed something. Good. :) I will put a test meter on it. If the click dies down then it may be the electricity suppliers upping the voltage. If there was a poor connection the click maybe softer? I will check that out.

The valve is a Honeywell valve, as I have stated, a 5107339, and the numbers match up on Amazon. Potterton do not make the valve and I am sure it is used by many manufacturers.

Don't start messing with things you don't fully understand, no engineer worth his salts
won't fit components you supply, " as said " plus don't know if part is a genuine componant.. just let engineer source part probably be cheaper.let them take responsibility
of job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back