potterton puma 80e problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,
I hope that someone can help me.

i've had this problem for some time now. when the ch or hw is turned on everything works for a couple of minutes, then the boiler starts to sound like a kettle and then the lockout light comes on.

i keep resetting but the problem persists.
thanks.

Sponsored Links
ive just checked the pump and the spindle rotates etc when pulled out and re-engages fine.
how do i get rid of the air in the system?

Sponsored Links
the auto air vent is open. i changed this a couple of years back

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

engineer has been in before xmas and has already chx'd the main board and the board with the reset button on.

problem still persists

Hmmm. How long does HW stay on if you have good flow from taps?

Drop the front panel expose the cicuit board turn on a hot tap a red led should come on on the pcb turn water off the red led should go off almost immediatly if not the micro switch is sticking on the dhw differential valve, or the diff/diaphram need replacing...

with the ch on i turned the hot tap on and the red led lit. i then turned it off and it went out immediately.
after the light went out the boiler began to boil like a kettle again and then it locked out.

ive bought some cleanser today along with some silenter. not put it in yet do you think this will work.

how do you know if the pump is over running?

If the h/e is very badly blocked then it may not help. Hard to diagnose without seeing the boiler.

You can see if the pump is overrunning if you turn the CH on at the programmer / on boiler. Let it reach normal working temperature (run for one - two mins), then remove the call for heat at programmer / boiler - BUT DO NOT SWITCH THE BOILER OFF AT POWER OR PUT ON STANDBY as this will stop the facility from working!

If the over-run facility is working, once the flames go out on the burner, the pump should remain turning for a short time to dissipate heat away from the heat exchanger. If it is not over-running then the boiler can overheat, however on a Puma this is unlikely to be the cause of such extreme problems as you are experiencing.

It really sounds like the pump is at fault to me somehow, are you 100% certain that it is OK? Try having the boiler switched off & cold, undo the spindle and pull forward, then try turning the spindle once engaged onto the impeller, see how easily it turns. It should move fairly easily, if it takes even a bit of effort, the pump is to blame for your problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back