Potterton Puma 80e - Working intermittently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Puma 80e combi boiler which is causing a few problems after having been switched off for a week whilst I was on holiday.

The problem is that it keeps displaying low water pressure when the gauge is showing 2.5bar and then it switches itself off. I can often get the boiler to restart by switching it off completely and then opening the pressure relief valve and letting it completely discharge. If I then recharge it to 2.5bar and then switch it on again, it (usually, but not always) displays the 'Lockout' light only. If it does, I can then run through the 'Reset' procedure from Stand-by and then switch it on again. Sometimes after releasing the pressure and then recharging, the lights for 'Low System Pressure' and 'Lockout' are displayed. If this is the case, it WILL NOT reset. I have to release the pressure again and try it again.

However, if I do get the boiler working, the pump does seem to be toiling to turn. I'm sure I can hear it struggling to turn, sometimes fast but very soon after makes a grinding noise as it comes to a halt. If this happens, the 'Low System Pressure' light comes on (still showing 2 - 2.5bar on the gauge) and I have to go through the process of releasing the pressure, recharging and then resetting the electronics...you get the idea!

I had thought that either the pump was sucking a little air, or had locked and needed to be released or had given up the ghost altogether.

Lastly, there is definitely no air in the central heating system.

Anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back