Potterton Puma 80e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondered if someone might be able to help.

We have a puma 80e, all is well and then suddenly we noticed there was no heat or hot water. Had a look at the boiler and the low pressure warning light had come on. Checked the pressure and it was sitting there at 1.5 bar. Unabl;e to reset the light though.

Checked the diagnostic fault finding part of the manual and it says that the water pressure valve needs replacing.

In the meantime, the boiler works if you disconnect the switch. Is this SAFE ? just until I can locate a replacement part ?

Have 2 small children who need baths !

Cheers

Mike

Sponsored Links
You will find this described many times on this forum!. Usually you can clean the inside of the switch and it'll be OK. Have to drain but dont use the PRV or the boiler isolating valves, they will leak afterwards.
It ain't safe for the boiler to run dry - it might turn off on overheat before it blows up, but then again, :eek:
What you've done is a criminal offence. Livin on the edge? Well wicked.

Oh...illegal ? good job I didn't do it then..ahem.

What's the best way to drain the system then ? and how do I prevent airlocks etc.

Is it just a simple matter of using one of the drains on my LGF radiators ?

I appreciate your help.

If the rad valves are in good nick turn them all off to save draining the lot.

If the automatic air vent top left works ok it will let air in to let the water out. You only have to drain the boiler itself.
Refilling isn;t nomally so much of a prob on sealed systems where the rads haven't been drained. Might be worth having a spare AAV handy - £5 or so, 3/8" fitting, cos they tend to leak.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chris,

May well be a silly question but how will I know if the boiler has drained ?

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back