Potterton Puma Wax Capsule - Help for a thicko

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is the last things the experts will want on a Friday night but I'm stuck.

Problem - Boiler firing for thirty seconds on CH and then cuts out.

Thought I'd have a go at changing the wax capsule myself and now wish I hadn't !

Does the nut in front of the two DHW pipes undo? If so, how ??? My socket set isn't getting any purchase on the nut as the sides are so shallow.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.[/img]

Sponsored Links
This works 99% of the time. I think you'll find that the DV is seized in HW position and won't open to Htg, hence boiler fires and then overheats

Drain system, water off, power off

Undo connection on top and to left of the front of the DV. With a small allen key locate the grub screw above and below on the DV and loosen them. Remove the front section, carefully as you want the to be sure how it goes back together. At the back of the DV you will see a flat brass face with a hole in it. With a large screwdriver or similar push the brass face back (there is a spring behind it) keep going back and forth. You should notice it easing. The guy who showed me said spray some oil in there but I'm pretty sure this washes away (won't harm it)

Re-assemble in reverse making sure the push rod is located in the hole on the brass face. Replace the fibre washers everytme

I normally replace the front section with new and chuck the rest of the DV in my brass but I know guys that just loosen it up and put it back together.

If this fails then change the whole DV not too bad if you have access to the backnut on it.

Hope this helps

Thankyou for your reply, very kind.

However, I have actually purchased the wax capsule so think it would be prudent to fit whilst the system is drained etc......just not sure how to do it.

The nut faces you on the divertor. Undo and pull out the capsule. Turn mains off aswell. I have not got a picture to show you, but Im sure someone will have. You have only 1mm to 'grab', but its a piece off **** to change. A piece if 15mm will push back a disturbed 'o'ring if required.

Its not the blue bit at the very bottom of this www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=756309#756309

I thought it was :confused:

Scott.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Scott......but theres my problem.....what did you use to remove the nut ? ....my socket set won't grip cuz theres not enough depth on the nut and the trusty adjustable is beginning to round the nut so I've stopped that quick sharpish.....did you use a normal spanner ? Maybe a trip is needed to Halfrauds.....I aint got a spanner that fits.

Also gotta get some fibre washers ......I removed the two DHW pipes as per the instructions on the manual but it doesn't seem like this was necessary !!

Thanks again.

Cheers Scott......but theres my problem.....what did you use to remove the nut ? ....my socket set won't grip cuz theres not enough depth on the nut and the trusty adjustable is beginning to round the nut so I've stopped that quick sharpish.....did you use a normal spanner ? Maybe a trip is needed to Halfrauds.....I aint got a spanner that fits.

Also gotta get some fibre washers ......I removed the two DHW pipes as per the instructions on the manual but it doesn't seem like this was necessary !!

Thanks again.

I use a pair of grips to undo it. Spanners are useless and so is an adjustable one. Ive done over 50 in the last 10 years or so. Ive never failed to undo it with grips. Sometimes, the rules of plumbing go out the window. To change the whole divertor is a pain - because of the rear nut. :evil:

Im sorry I cant help more. Grip tightly and undo. No need to undo any domestic pipes. :!:

Scott.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back