Potterton Suprima 40

Sponsored Links
judge-mental said:
after careful consideration and deliberation I concur Softus is a fud
A flame from a coward.

gazthepottertonengineer said:
A bleat from a little sheep, running along behind the coward.

Taking the fan out is pretty quick but how do you do the swap without - use one of the old wires to pull the new ones across the back?

ChrisR said:
Back to the old corgi /competent thing, it's quite simple, just vague.

Everyone doing any "work" on a gas appliance has to be "competent". So it seems to me that it depends what the work is.
If you're "employed", yes that's the word, then you have to be Corgi regd. Vague. If a girl gets her dad to put a screw back in the case, you could say, with normal English usage, she's employing him to do it. Payment irrelevant.

Corgi themselves fog it more, by saying that you have to be Corgi regd to disturb anything which affects airflow, gas, or safety devices in the boiler, whoever it belongs to. That includes the case(air) and pcb(safety devices) really, perhaps a bit vague again, but it certainly includes the fan, which you remove to change a Suprima pcb.
Hi Chris

I fully understand, and respect, the points that you've made, and I even agree with all of them. In fact, I'd have put money on you being the only one capable of posting an intelligent argument to counter the points I've been making, so I'm glad that my hypothetical wager would have brought me a return :)

According to the 5111603 documentation, the fan is the only component mentioned whose removal disturbs the flow of either air or combustion products. However, since removal of the fan isn't strictly necessary, I continue to believe that it's possible to carry out the upgrade without any work that requires, according to the law, CORGI membership.

(BTW, whilst I agree with you about the definition of employment, for a housefolder working on his/her own boiler, this isn't relevant.)

I still haven't read or heard any explanation for the claim that it's illegal for a non-CORGI member to undertake the upgrade. On the contrary, apart from your post all we have on this topic are some very irate and insecure CORGI engineers throwing insults.

The only point in favour of the angry mob's argument is that a CORGI member is more likely to be aware of all the implications involved in disturbing connections inside the boiler casing, and thereby assess the risks involved and determine the correct post-upgrade testing to mitigate those risks. Therefore, it would be wise to leave the work to a CORGI member.

However, I still maintain my first point, which is that it is not illegal for Philpatton or Snash to fit the 5111603 kit.

The others can be as insulting as they wish, but it doesn't change the fact that I've arrived at this conclusion by reading the law, and the manufacturer's documentation, and by intelligent and dispassionate reasoning, and I really wish they'd grasp the fact that I don't care how unpopular my interpretation of the law makes me.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Snash said:
Softus said:
I had a look through the rules and wasn't aware of breaking any when making my post.
I assumed that you were unaware, which is why I drew your attention to the rules.

Yes, I clicked the link, and I looked at Rule 20 and can't see how I have HJ the thread. My original question was on topic of the OP so rather than create yet another thread on this issue why not tag onto an existing one?

If you'd wanted to be helpful you would have said "Snash, your post breaks Rule 20 of the Forum Rules regarding hijacking. I think you're hijacking due to x, y and z" If you can't be bothered to do this then leave it to a mod?

Anyway, I'm not here to bicker but to learn and I greatly appreciate all of the answers. I'm now off to engage a local CORGI registered heating engineer :D

Had the same problem for months, finally gave up the ghost last night. Re soldered the PCB this morning and working like a dream.

Well after phoning a local heating engineer they suggested I contacted Potterton direct. For £259 they offer to come out and fix whatever is wrong with your boiler, including parts, labour and VAT and then give you on year's cover on anything else going wrong. Decided that having seen the problems everyone else was having it must be the pcb so took the chance. Would have been gutted if it was a £10 switch that was gone! (if there is such a thing but you get my drift).

The engineer appeared the next day, went through a process of elimination then after an hour decided to fit the new board. Thanks for the advice guys, I'm pretty sure I couldn't have done it. Now the boiler works again, I have the new pcb fitted and I have a year's cover on anything else going wrong (worth about £150 itself) so I'm quite happy I got the thing repaired for net price of around £110 (price of a "stolen" pcb on ebay).

Thanks again everyone.

Well after phoning a local heating engineer they suggested I contacted Potterton direct. For £259 they offer to come out and fix whatever is wrong with your boiler, including parts, labour and VAT and then give you on year's cover on anything else going wrong. Decided that having seen the problems everyone else was having it must be the pcb so took the chance. Would have been gutted if it was a £10 switch that was gone! (if there is such a thing but you get my drift).

The engineer appeared the next day, went through a process of elimination then after an hour decided to fit the new board. Thanks for the advice guys, I'm pretty sure I couldn't have done it. Now the boiler works again, I have the new pcb fitted and I have a year's cover on anything else going wrong (worth about £150 itself) so I'm quite happy I got the thing repaired for net price of around £110 (price of a "stolen" pcb on ebay).

Thanks again everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back