Power consumption of spring zone valves

i was thinking of boilers with internal y plans....

I must admit those mid-position valves sound like a real cludge to me. They restrict flow greatly. Look inside of them. I would rather have two full flow MoMo valves than one of them. I only assume they are fitted for cheapness.

The Sunvic 3-port MoMo diverter valves are full flow which is an alternative. But I think they are just diverting not mid-position. Not too sure on that without looking at their web site. Even a full flow 3-port mid-position valve must restrict flow when in mid-position, whereas two full flow MoMos would not.

Sponsored Links
I don't think the boiler manufacturers such as viessmann (and vaillant in germany) would use them if they were not fit for purpose...to be frank

Not as bored as you.... You seem to have a facination for the minutia.... Saving the pennies and missing the pounds...

I will not bat the ball with you. I mentioned the eco aspect as an after thought. Your response was to rip out heating system or something childish. Saving electricity for the home owner is a real world. And you never addressed the prime point.

Well I did suggest that you further increased your insulation in the loft, increased the cavity and insulation in the walls and/or reinforce the double glazing with secondary glazing.... All ideas that have been around for many many years and are guaranteed to reduce your heating costs and carbon footprint.....On a real world scale... Two of which are DIYable for little money. But you want to bang on about saving the price of a pint which is just as silly as my suggestion of removing your heating....Oddly enough This could be done in theory if you had enough insulation...

Sponsored Links
sunvic being the most prolific of the momo producers has been unwilling to fix the inherent electrical flaw in their actuators which makes them a ticking timebomb to failure. google sunvic actuator failure theres a electricial enginner who done a website on it..www.seered.co.uk i think ill stick to my drayton and honeywell. low loss headers for big systems pump per floor. flow restriction what a load of tosh.

Just seen this ridicolous Post!!

what is 6 watts of electricity, in comparison to 20+Kw of boiler that the valve is controlling
in other words a minute amount of energy is consumed to save a large amount :rolleyes:

Just seen this ridicolous Post!!

what is 6 watts of electricity, in comparison to 20+Kw of boiler that the valve is controlling
in other words a minute amount of energy is consumed to save a large amount :rolleyes:

I don't know which post you are referring. I asked about the power consumption of spring return valves and got the answer. But one valve consumes nothing at all, the MoMo.

I looked at the seered site. The valves I am looking at, the 2-port MoMo have had the electronics parts upgraded and are not a problem. The author was stating what the problem "was", not what is "is" now. The big problems are with the spring return valves according to the site. Although he appears not too impressed with the 3-port MoMo which requires different electronics to the 2-port.

Witten by Mr Benchmark, "flow restriction what a load of tosh."
Look inside a 22mm spring return valve. It drops down to 15mm inside and a large big rubber ball in the way. That is one hell of a restriction that must make an impact to flow and noise. To get around it I am sure the pump's speed is upped consuming more energy and more cost again to the user, so an unwelcome knock-on.

Full flow zone valves are not rocket science, even for spring return valves. Why don't they all make them.

http://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/motorised-valves/cat831028

Honeywell 2-port spring return valves? Are they made of gold? £72!!
Siemens, a good make: £43
Danfoss, an excellent make: £55.

The seered web site is asking for failed Drayton valves for a legal case. But they charge: £53 for a 2-port. So are Drayton valves suspect?

Screwfix sell a Horstman for £36. I haven't a clue how good they are.

Is Drayton and Sunvic the same company now?

Siemens look good at £43. I would give Honeywell a wide berth charge those prices. I can't see them being better than the other quality makes. You may be raking it in on their name.

The Sunvic 2-port MoMo is around £45 doing a quick look on the google, so about the same price as a Siemans spring return 2-port.

What other makers do a 2-port MoMo? Anyone know?

Sigh.... Rebuilder you are of course right and we are all wrong... You fit all the plastic headed valves you like and shortly after we'll go round and replace them for a nice Honeywell because the plastic has warped and the valve has jammed.... But of course you already know this.. Lets hope that you work somewhere nice and safe where you cannot make a difference...

I love the plastic valves, they pay my rent.

There is nothing wrong with MOMO valves more should be fitted as far as I am concerned,especially with the influx of the 6 week plumbers,we need as much unreliable plastic crap as possible out there ,so there is enough work for eveyone

The restrictions caused by the other valves .Oh wow what about the modern heat exchanger made by gianonni which has clearances of 5mm as they are wound around ,maybe they should ask the MOMO people to design that feature out of them as well!

The best valve bar none out there is the HONEYWELL unit and no snake oil salesman is going to convince any decent plumber any different

The best valve bar none out there is the HONEYWELL unit and no snake oil salesman is going to convince any decent plumber any different

Some might say you're a snake oil salesman promoting Honeywell. :mrgreen:

I gave up trying to find a reliable valve actuator and have designed my own to do exactly what is needed.

DC motor working on 12 volts and standard shoe valves.

Enables small cable ( 4 or 6 core alarm cable ) to be used instead of mains type cable which in a listed building is a great advantage.

Motor de-energises when required position is reached. Reed switches sense the position so problems with micro-switches removed. Option to have actual position confirmed back to controller.

System can operate on a standby battery during a power cut with only the boiler requiring 230 volts via an invertor.

If the motor fails or is stalled it is almost impossible for it to overheat and become a fire hazard even if the controller does not remove power to the actuator.

Only dis-advantage is that it will not work with any standard control system but as there are two hot water tanks and 5 heating zones the cottage requires a more complex controller than S or Y plans.

what do you know DAN !

It needs a proper lash up,not a tried and tested way of doing things ,very complicated thing adding extra valves and stats for different zones :p :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back