Power cut problem on Castle Caretech 1700

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I hope someone can help. We recently had a power cut and our alarm sounded some time after the power came back on. On reset, the keypad showed F3 - low voltage and F4 Battery and the diode on the remote keypad lights at first but then goes out. Subsequent attempts seem to give random control displays. Most sensors also seem to have stopped working.
All fuses are OK and the battery is showing about 13v on my meter.
Should I be doing more than a normal reset ?

Sponsored Links
No, its telling you there is a charging fault a transformer fault or a battery fault and to call an engineer.
These are also obsolete.

Try a new battery, just seeing the voltage does not mean its capasity has been reduced.
A 7Amp 12 volt is what you need try maplins, or B&Q they both sell them.
The hopefully thats it sorted.

Agreed

You might also run into problems if the system has been setup for engineers reset (which it should).

Also, search the board as this has been done before. (not that long ago)

Thanks to all; I'll try a new battery later today if I can get one locally. A bit surprised it's that, since all was fine until we had a local power voltage drop which only lasted a few hours. I don't think we had a total cut but dimmers and fluorescents weren't working. Anyway thanks again. I'll report back.

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,

I've just fitted the new battery by powering mains first, giving F3 steady then connecting battery and resetting giving F4 flashing. Subsequent resets with # or code + # result in F4 flashing and still no reaction from PIR's. Anything else I can try or do I say bye bye to a slice of my pension and call an engineer? :cry:

Try checking the fuses out of the holders with a multi meter.
If not the transformer output.
Thats what F4 is saying.
Fuses gone your lucky.
Transformer yor not.

Try checking the fuses out of the holders with a multi meter.
If not the transformer output.
Thats what F4 is saying.
Fuses gone your lucky.
Transformer yor not.

Hi,

Had already checked fuses OK. Just checked battery leads with mains on and battery disconnected ...result 7v. I've a feeling this should be 13.8v so does that mean it's the transformer supplying too low a voltage to both the battery and the 12v circuitry in the board? From what you said the board is obsolete so I don't know if transformer can be replaced? Also wonder if there was a mains power surge before or after the cut which may have blown the transformer? Thanks again for your help.

Yes sounds about right,
What is the supply on the output side of the transformer disconnected from the panel?
Probably that, you might get a replacement.

Yes sounds about right,
What is the supply on the output side of the transformer disconnected from the panel?

Thanks "Alarm", I'll get to that as soon as I can and report back. Meanwhile "the boss" has got me busy sorting Christmas!!! :)

Won't be the transformer. Will be the rectifier/regulator. Just bin it and get a new one.

Yes sounds about right,

Finally got back in the loft while putting Xmas dec's away and checked that transformer. Both primary and secondary windings seem OK and don't show any short. AC voltage on output is about 14v which I think is right. Re-assembly and switch-on caused F1 (tamper) initially, then after insertion of battery and re-assembly of case F3 (Over or under volts). Joe-90 suggests not transformer but rectifier/regulator. Trouble is that Caretech 1700 Issue 2 board is obsolete and operates from remote keypad so I don't know what I could replace with without getting into complete rewire? Any thoughts?

Won't be the transformer. Will be the rectifier/regulator. Just bin it and get a new one.

Hi Joe-90, Thanks for response; presumably you meant a new board as opposed to rectifier/regulator? Trouble is that Caretech 1700 Issue 2 board is obsolete and operates from remote keypad so I don't know what I could replace with without getting into complete rewire? Any ideas?

Yes sounds about right,

Finally got back in the loft while putting Xmas dec's away and checked that transformer. Both primary and secondary windings seem OK and don't show any short. AC voltage on output is about 14v which I think is right. Re-assembly and switch-on caused F1 (tamper) initially, then after insertion of battery and re-assembly of case F3 (Over or under volts). Joe-90 suggests not transformer but rectifier/regulator. Trouble is that Caretech 1700 Issue 2 board is obsolete and operates from remote keypad so I don't know what I could replace with without getting into complete rewire? Any thoughts?
I would normally expect around 20v on Tx o/p.

Following our power cut problems, I want to replace my Castle caretech 1700Mk2 panel and keypad as the 64 pin processor has blown and I can't find a replacement. I've had a quote of £420 which is a lot for a poor old pensioner so I'm hoping to do it myself. I've looked on the Castle site and they recommend their Euro 76 panel which has enough in/outputs to cover Fort Knox! :) Wouldn't the Euro Mini 10 do the trick? It's a domestic installation with 8 zones and just the 1 input position. I want to use existing wiring and sensors and just replace the panel and keypad and add a panic button. Any help would be appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back