Power flush my only choice ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My combi's plate heat exchanger keeps getting clogged up every other month with small bits of debris which I have now found are coming from the pipework around the heating system. Is power flushing my only choice to get rid of this or can I flush it with a hose pipe or something ?

My brother in law suggested just completely draining and refilling the system a few times to see if this clears it but i'm not sure that's gonna do the trick.

Sponsored Links
Cheers, that Magnaclean looks the business....plumbworld have it online for about £90......would be £90 well spent if it eliminates my headaches and all I have to do is clean it. :D

Check the debris with a magnet to make sure they really are magnetite - which is what Magnaclean is for.

Sponsored Links
I haven't checked the links provided but if you want to diy a power flush you can rent the Kamco power flush from Alexandra Hire .For more info go to http://www.kamco.co.uk/.

Another (also imperfect, but cheap) possibility is to put a strainer in the return pipe to the combi. With a tap each side to isolate, it would still cost only about a tenner.

I've had a look at the Plumbworld web site for strainers and theres bronze and brass and a whole range of sizes measured in inches....which would I need bronze or brass and what does the size refer to as the pictures all look the same ?

The large bits are not usually the major problem as they normally settle in places like radiators which have low flow rates. A bigger problem is the tiny bits which don't settle and get into all the working bits, like pump bearings and valves. The tiny bits won't get caught by a strainer.

Doing the job properly and cleaning it out will be cheaper in the long run.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back