Power flush problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a powerflush, I'm informed that the C.H. system is still blocked and will mean all new piping has to be installed. Are there no other alternatives ? Also after the power flush the hot water system was contaminated with what I assume is the dissolving liquid - the sink and bath are stained with a green slime - should this happen and is it dangerous ?

Sponsored Links
The lads will need more details on type of boiler and heating system.

combi,non-combi,water cylinder? etc

The more details you give us the better.

Surely the hot water should not be contaminated ? You had the radiators flushed not the HW system. Unless its primatic, your system should keep HW and CH water separate.
Sounds like your 'engineer' may have connected the flushing equipment to the wrong pipes....?

That what I was wondering.

Did you powerflush from the radiator valves ? or could be by-passing in the cylinder coil if you have one.Still need more details on type of heating.

Sponsored Links
Vaillant Thermo compact boiler. Upstairs radiators working but down stairs stone cold.
Engineer installed new pump to improve flow and put pipe flusher fluid in system. After 10 days no difference at all, so spent nearly a full day powerflushing system - still nothing moving, so were advised the pipe work would need renewing. After system had been flushed the top up tank for the hot water system did not function for several hours and then when it became usable the water came out cloudy, chemically smelling and leaving a greeny blue scum in wash basins and bath.
Could there be a fault with the 'deflector valve' Honeywell V4037 mid position valve, which is part of the problem ?

At the moment we have the CH off but the hot water on.

Thanks for your advice so far. Desperate Dan

The problem you have indicates a problem in the hot water cylinder. Note that I say "indicates". It may not be the problem. You could have a leak in the heating coil in the tank. This would allow chemicals to get into the hot water cylinder.

Try draining the heating to just empty the header tank. Make sure the header tank inlet is off, and see if the tank fills again slowly. If does, you need a new hot water cylinder.

Though it sounds drastic to renew all the pipework, I have known all the 15mm pipesin a house changed in a morning. This is faster than powerflushing, and a lot quicker than I could do it. However, taking each radiator off the wall and sticking a hosepipe in it might help, and you can then look at each pipe to find the blockage. It's probably only one.

The valve will not be the problem with contaminated water.

Nasty thought, you don't have a Primatic cylinder do you?

Not sure about that oilman, but we have 2 water tanks in the airing cupboard , one above the other, both above the hot water cistern.
What's the 'nasty thought' if it is a primatic cylinder ?

I don't know much about them, but the seperation of the heating and hot water is done by air bubbles, so you can't use chemicals in the heating system.

If you have two header tanks then you don't have a Primatic. Which header tank is higher, the heating one or the domestic hot/cold water one?

Ask yer man what chemical he used.

I am surprised on two counts GwaiLo, one is that you have quoted, but missed out a word without indicating the omission. The other is far more worrying that you appear to be rather familiar with the well known Mr Jackson's chimpanzee. Have you and XDJ anything to say about this :LOL:

The heating tank is the higher one, I assume , as the lower one refills when we run the hot water.

That makes sense, for the heating water ot go into the doestic HW. The flushing will have removed Rust type deposits - they may have been keeping the waters apart ! Sometimes it's all that keeps the water in the system...

I still don't understand how the hot water got contaminated ? :confused:

Could it be the plumber accidentally put the dissolving liquid in your cold water storage tank ?

DESPERATE DAN,do you know where the powerflush machine was connected to ?

Masona,
I had the same when I used a chemical cleaner on my brothers flat. I introduced the fluid into the CH header tank, then ran the CH/HW system for 1 hour on full heat (per the instructions).
The blockage was broken down a treat by the chemical, and the "cold" rad started working lovely. I drained out the chemical and fill/drained the system twice more to remove the chemical. I then put an inhibiter in to prevent corrosion and prevent scale build up.

Later that evening, his wife ran a bath and the hot water came out brown/black.

Inside the hot water cylinder is a coil of tube, through which runs "boiler heated central heating" water (controlled by a valve) as the Hot water part of the CH/HW system. The water for the taps in the cylinder gets heated indirectly by the "central Heating" water circulating through this coil (ie by contact with the hot coil which itself is heated by the water in the CH/HW circuit).
The chemical cleaner had "cleaned away" the corrosion which was on the outside/inside of this coil where it is soldered to the inside of the tank wall - allowing Boiler heater water to pass from the coil into the tank water. The corrosion was probably the only thing maintaining a seal inside the tank.

A repacement tank cured this defect.

Sadly, a couple of weeks later, the downstairs flat reported "light brown rain" falling in their lounge - an underfloor joint in the vacinity of the previously blocked radiator had also corroded through and (probably) as a result of being chemically unblocked - started leaking as a piece of corroded material became detatched.

It is often the case that in older, corroded systems, at some joints, the corrosion present actually prevents them leaking.
I used to joke that I once had a car that I wouldn't wash in case it was the dirt that was holding it together :eek: .

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back