Power flush required yes or no?

Wow, another intriguing Tonyism...how do you powerflush with the system drained then?

Sponsored Links
You believed a PF would be included but should have got him to amend his written quote. Customers always remember the specifics of verbal quotes but installers don't as we usually have a dozen or so such jobs going through our brain!
Still, it worked out in the end as he's obviously got a conscience and had time to go home and sleep on what he agreed with you :)
For peace of mind most customers want some kind of flush included, often the full monty, whether needed or not!

You believed a PF would be included but should have got him to amend his written quote. Customers always remember the specifics of verbal quotes but installers don't as we usually have a dozen or so such jobs going through our brain!

For peace of mind most customers want some kind of flush included, often the full monty, whether needed or not!

Done in similar way to power flushing a chemical flush is nearly as good.

Most systems don't need power flushing. Customers like it if it does not appear to cost them much.

But to keep costs to a minimum I don't include it as a must do.

Done in similar way to power flushing a chemical flush is nearly as good.

Most systems don't need power flushing. Customers like it if it does not appear to cost them much.

But to keep costs to a minimum I don't include it as a must do.

That's what I meant by "some kind of flush"! Given that condition, most of 'my' customers still want to pay to have the 'full monty'! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Ah the great powerflush scam! System should be cleaned chemically and inhibitor added as part of the commissioning.
Never really understood flushing. If there is any debris in a radiator, and the feed pipes are 10mm or even worse 8mm, try asking yourself how fast the water has to flow in the pipe to dislodge the debris in the rad.
Think rivers and lakes, all the debris ends up in the lake, and that's where it will stay. Forever.
Johng

Ah the great powerflush scam! System should be cleaned chemically and inhibitor added as part of the commissioning.
Never really understood flushing. If there is any debris in a radiator, and the feed pipes are 10mm or even worse 8mm, try asking yourself how fast the water has to flow in the pipe to dislodge the debris in the rad.
Think rivers and lakes, all the debris ends up in the lake, and that's where it will stay. Forever.
Johng

Oh don't start this subject again! It Caused enough trouble the other night! :rolleyes:

Just out of interest how often would you power flush? Once every two years or so?

Jon

One thing to remember is flushing the system is not only done just to protect the new appliance, it's also done to help ensure the system works correctly. Why have a modern energy efficient boiler then leave it running a system that is very inefficient at emitting the energy.

One thing to remember is flushing the system is not only done just to protect the new appliance, it's also done to help ensure the system works correctly. Why have a modern energy efficient boiler then leave it running a system that is very inefficient at emitting the energy.

And a power flush will help a system with solid deposits how? Especially on micro bore?

People worry too much about a boiler and forget everything else. It's called a central heating system for a reason! It's a system. All parts work together to create a whole.

It's like saying my engines brand new in the car, brakes tyres and fuel system is ropey though, and bodywork is shot but I should make it home.

When will people realise that that white box on the wall the little white rectangles dotted about the house and the (possible) "boiler" upstairs are THE biggest investment in your property! You use it daily without even realising, it gives you unfaltering service for years and yet you don't give it a once over every year but moan when you have no hot water or heating for 12 hours and it's urgent cos you have a new born in the house!

Come on people. Think about your priorities, 3k on a TV or warmth and washing? Bet your new born doesn't appreciate the TV being on when they're freezing and dirty? Here endeth the rant.

Jon

And a power flush will help a system with solid deposits how? Especially on micro bore?

People worry too much about a boiler and forget everything else. It's called a central heating system for a reason! It's a system. All parts work together to create a whole.

It's like saying my engines brand new in the car, brakes tyres and fuel system is ropey though, and bodywork is shot but I should make it home.

When will people realise that that white box on the wall the little white rectangles dotted about the house and the (possible) "boiler" upstairs are THE biggest investment in your property! You use it daily without even realising, it gives you unfaltering service for years and yet you don't give it a once over every year but moan when you have no hot water or heating for 12 hours and it's urgent cos you have a new born in the house!

Come on people. Think about your priorities, 3k on a TV or warmth and washing? Bet your new born doesn't appreciate the TV being on when they're freezing and dirty? Here endeth the rant.

Jon

Too true John!
I often use the car analogy with customers.
Still, winter is fast approaching and there'll be more than a few thinking that perhaps they should have spent money on their heating system (as advised last winter) rather than on that TV/holiday/landscaping/flooring/
decorating etc :sneaky:

I am losing track of what this conversation is leading to seems to have gone a bit off topic.

Anyone who has had a new boiler installed that I know personally had a power flush done, out of the 5 different firms/people I got round to give me a quote and pretty much every bit of literature I have read regarding warranty and extending life and improving heating system states a power flush should be done when installing a new boiler.

I appreciate a power flush may not remove everything but if done properly surely it is a big improvement over how it has been left currently. If I watch what comes out from the power flush and it is anything but clear then the job was worth it no?

This was not just a verbal agreement I have a written email from the engineer who fitted saying a power flush is included in the job he would be doing after he forgot to include it in the original quote.

He turned up without any means of flushing (didn't even bring the machine to do it) and advised me the water is clear from simply draining the system and it is not needed. It seems to be he had made his mind up that he wouldn't do it before even coming and used that excuse to hopefully make me forget it.

Thanks

As per a previous post he has reluctantly agreed to come back and do the power flush.

I have only paid a small deposit for the whole job so far. Once the flush is done I will pay the remaining balance.

As per a previous post he has reluctantly agreed to come back and do the power flush.

Apologies, I misread what you posted. I thought you meant he wouldn't do it when he returned. My mistake.

Jon

It is pretty much accepted that power flushing is either difficult or impossible on microbore systems.

I had to do a Rant last Monday at the comedy class! Must have been good because the tutor picked some of my words as an example to mention to the class.

Just bear in mind if the power flush uncovers any unknown/hidden problems like leaks etc, the cost of any repairs will be in addition to the guys outstanding balance. You cant deduct anything from the balance reference this possible additional work or expect him to cover the additional costs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back