Power flushing kit

Onetap

There is no specific element Re powerflushing that I know about to become a registered RGI.

Yes John, I know. There's no requirement to know much about fundamental fluid dynamics or hydrostatics, either, judging by some of the responses in the link above.

So why are such threads in the Combustion Chamber?
Are the RGIs suffering from a collective delusion about competence?

You'll excuse me if I repeat myself. In France domestic heating systems use copper pipes, steel radiators and the same boilers and pumps used in the UK. There is no power flushing industry; there are few problems with black sludge.

What is the difference between France and the UK?

The installers. RGIs.

I find that slightly disturbing.

Bye.

Sponsored Links
Whilst on the subject of powerflushing, Does anybody else have the Sentinel Jetflush 4 and know if you can replace the reverse flow valve, and how the hell you are meant to get to it to replace?

To the OP, I don't know much about powerflushing so can't help but i'm sure by the 3rd page of this thread you may have a constructive answer :LOL:.

If you looked at that suggestion of building machine you would see that its a one shot which pumps water through the rads and directly into the drain!

That makes it virtually impossible to use chemicals which would normally be recirculated for maximum effect.

That suggestion is for a pump which will do the same as a good mains water flush!

Power flushing needs acceptable equipment but most of the skill is in how its done and which chemicals to use!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I managed to pick up a 2nd hand kamco cf30 and magnaceanse for a good price, but expensive new compared to others which I'm told use the same pump.

Mate uses an anton one and has no problems.

Going by reviews I've read from others, if money isn't an option then the norstrum professional one seems to be the daddy of machines. There are some video demonstrations on YouTube of it, and they seem very helpful over the phone also. A heater kit is also available for it.

Why is it in the Combustion Chamber?
Rough guess ...

I'd imagine that gas powered boilers are the majority in this country.
To legally* fit gas boilers you need to be Gas Safe registered.
It's been pointed out that the system is supposed to be flushed when fitting a new boiler.
The inference is that there are (or should be) a lot of installers doing power flushes, and the majority of them (I'd imagine by a long way**) are Gas Safe registered.

Given that the CC is somewhere where (it appears) Gas Safe registered people can hang out and talk without us rabble interfering, I'd guess that the subject of flushing equipment/chemicals/techniques comes up there from time to time.
For some, it will be a deliberate choice to discuss it in CC rather than here where they'd be giving away trade secrets.

Ergo, if someone want sot know about power flushing - then the CC would be a reasonable place to find previous discussions. If they are qualified to go in there.

None of this makes any assumption about being GS registered to be able to do flushing, or indeed there being any connection whatsoever between GS registration and power flushing - other than the afore mentioned overlap between being GS registered to be able to fit boilers, and the requirement to flush system when fitting a new boiler.

* Ignoring the small loopholes that don't apply to anyone doing a trade for reward.

** I know there are people doing other fuels (and who aren't GS registered), but I expect in significantly lower numbers than gas - especially as many doing other fuels will also be GS registered.

Rough guess ...

It's been pointed out that the system is supposed to be flushed when fitting a new boiler.
The inference is that there are (or should be) a lot of installers doing power flushes, and the majority of them (I'd imagine by a long way**) are Gas Safe registered.

Quite; but, unlike gas installation work, there are no legal restriction on who can do power flushing, or a lot of other tasks related to heating. So why are such non-gas discussions in the Combustion Chamber?

Questions are asked on this forum and answers are posted. Sometimes you learn something from the answers and hopefully, since you've acquired your experience via a unique route, others will occasionally be able to learn something from your posts.

Why would someone contribute to a discussion when they are excluded from seeing discussions on the same topic?

My experience of pre-commissioning flushing was mostly obtained on large systems. By large I mean up to >3,000 radiators on LPHW and a similar number of chilled beams. Is it possible that I might know a few things that the RGIs and power flushers may not?

Why are there posts on power flushing in the combustion chamber?

Three (at least) of my posts in this thread have been deleted with no explanations.

Power flushing is a term that is applied to all-in-one flushing machines. You can do better by assembling your own pump, tanks and valves.

Rough guess ...

Quite; but, unlike gas installation work, there are no legal restriction on who can do power flushing, or a lot of other tasks related to heating. So why are such non-gas discussions in the Combustion Chamber?
Probably for the reasons I gave, and you quoted :rolleyes:

Or let me explain in simpler terms since that seems to be too complicated .... A lot (majority) of people discussing it are in the CC, and they'd prefer to discuss stuff there<period> If you are paranoid then you might think they want to avoid letting the unclean masses find out that there's no magic about it, or it could just be that the people discussing it most are happier in the CC.

Everyone's biggest mistake is assuming that all boilers run on GAS!!!

Power-flushing has B****r all to do with GSR , but as Tony pointed out the Power flush question has been done to death in the CC therefore if the OP was registered for CC it would be the obvious place to look

by the way boilers are available to fire many fuels including
Gas
Oil
Wood Coal
Bio-liquids
Sludge Gas
Electricity
etc etc !

Oi, count me out of that "everyone". I specifically said "I'd imagine that gas powered boilers are the majority in this country" - which is fairly clear that not all boilers are gas. I'd say they are in the majority for fairly obvious reasons, but not the only type (we were on oil at our last house).

Probably for the reasons I gave, and you quoted :rolleyes:

Or let me explain in simpler terms since that seems to be too complicated .... A lot (majority) of people discussing it are in the CC, and they'd prefer to discuss stuff there<period> If you are paranoid then you might think they want to avoid letting the unclean masses find out that there's no magic about it, or it could just be that the people discussing it most are happier in the CC.

Simon, you really should resist the urge to use the eye-rolling emoticon thing when you're trying to put people down; it comes across as very childish. Maybe you could even try to resist the urge to put down people you know nothing about, even though you may find it gratifying that you have, IYHO, provided definitive answers that those of lesser intellects are incapable of understanding.

You may also come across as a bit of a twunt if it should happen that you have missed the point of the question, as you have in this instance.

A slight case of the unknown knowns there, Simon.

Or assuming that there must be a boiler in the circuit that needs flushing. There would almost certainly be a heat exchanger of some sort, a boiler being one sort.

Power Flushing, another unnecessary gimmick that is not required

Flushing usually does work and is often the only practical means of removing solid particles or contaminants from pipework systems.

I'm baffled as to how flushing a domestic heating system has become equated to meaning only "Power Flushing", i.e., connecting a "Power Flushing machine" and one day's work. What is the secret magic about "Power Flushing machines", that separate (more powerful) pumps and tanks cannot achieve?

Why one day? You won't shift most of the crud in 8 hours or even 24 hours. Why not by-pass the boiler and flush the system for one week? Or one month? The heating is usually off for 6 months. Or how about side-stream filtration? Self-cleaning filters? Is there an equivalent technology for domestic systems?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back