Power flushing risk to old boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two central heating problems:

1. Clogged radiator at the bottom of the system.
2. Vaillant VCW-sine 18 boiler in need (according to a BG engineer) of a new water pump.

The cheapest option looks like a power flush and a new water pump, but another BG engineer to who came in to quote for a new boiler (out of curiosity) reckoned that the old Vaillant probably wouldn't survive a power flush.

Is this likely to be correct?

Given the £700 quote for a power flush and maybe a £200 parts & labour repair on bill for the boiler (which otherwise works OK, but it no longer provides on-demand hot water unless the 'constant' switch or central heating is on), I'm wondering if a new boiler (£2,600) isn't a more sensible option — BG will power flush the system as part of a new boiler installation.

My concern is that the water pump diagnosis may not be correct and even if it is, the age of the boiler is making me nervous about its future reliability and difficulty/cost of further repairs.

So, given all the above, I'm leaning towards a new boiler as the most sensible option — is there a flaw in my thinking..?

Sponsored Links
Sine 18 were a good boiler but now after 20+ years they are getting a bit tired and spares are becoming an issue due to scarcity and price.I would go for a nice new combi.I'm don't favour any one brand so no recommendations as to what boiler.Powerflushing should do the boiler no harm. If there is a risk then the boiler can be disconnected and the flow/returns connect to machine and reconnected afterwards.I doubt the main heat exch is blocked and power flushes have little effect on plate/secondary heat exchangers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back