Power to shower has been lost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I have a shower unit with a pull cord. During my shower, the power completely cut out to the shower, but the fuse in the main fuse board hasn’t tripped.

I always keep the pull switch to ‘ON’, so would this possibly indicate a faulty shower unit?

Any advise on what’s best to do now would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks, Paul.

Sponsored Links
This is the unit I have. Thanks

Attachments

• A4C1EA25-A559-4D24-A14B-1E84C0BFCF1C.jpeg
    A4C1EA25-A559-4D24-A14B-1E84C0BFCF1C.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 38
  • BC9334AF-377B-4E2B-8AAA-A1A3274A120A.jpeg
    BC9334AF-377B-4E2B-8AAA-A1A3274A120A.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 35
Voltages need to be checked for at the pull cord and shower.

Frequent cause is a burnt wire in the switch - because of loose termination.

It appears the red light is not illuminated. Is that right?

Sponsored Links
Here is the issue. This is in the pull cord switch. Would you best advise this to be an electrician call out, or can this be fixed myself?

Attachments

• 02E1C02D-ABFE-4671-87A2-1EBF77A5B6E7.jpeg
    02E1C02D-ABFE-4671-87A2-1EBF77A5B6E7.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 60
Looks like I was right.

The wires need cutting back to undamaged wire - and a new switch - so if you do not feel able to do it then an electrician is required.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Great. I’m sure I’d be able to give that a go! I’ve just looked at the shower unit itself, it appears that some water may have got in there looking at the colour of it, could that cause an issue?

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• E7964262-D9C6-4014-9A39-D0FE9E9300C0.jpeg
    E7964262-D9C6-4014-9A39-D0FE9E9300C0.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 39
Here is the issue. This is in the pull cord switch. Would you best advise this to be an electrician call out, or can this be fixed myself?

It looks like either a poor connection at the terminal, or a faulty/ high resistance switch. Buy a new switch, and then hopefully there is enough slack in the damaged cable to cut it back to clean copper. Make sure you isolate the supply at the mains, before attempting it.

Great. I’m sure I’d be able to give that a go! I’ve just looked at the shower unit itself, it appears that some water may have got in there looking at the colour of it, could that cause an issue?
No, just loose wire in switch.

These are best - as the wires connect to the part that is screwed to the ceiling with just a cover - unlike the present one where the wires attach to a loose part which is then pushed into the part on the ceiling.
Unfortunately they are round so the ceiling might require a bit of paint.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Yes, it's fine; just awkward to fit.

Make sure all the terminals are really tight - it's hard to tell when at awkward angles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back