PowerCraft Morticer

Sponsored Links
How much can you afford to lose £60? Not a negative opinion per se, but this would definitely be a gamble purchase, still worth a punt IMO
Cheapy tools from Aldi/Lidl etc can throw up some nice suprises. I'm tempted by the £20 biscuit jointer.

I wondered too. I have it in mind to make a carport and pergola, using 35mm x 70mm CLS, and M&T would be neater than bolted joints. I am not much good at woodwork, and quite clumsy with a chisel :oops: . But it only comes with an 8mm chisel and I should think I would need a 12mm, aren't morticing chisels quite expensive?

I occasionally fit mortice locks, and it would be handy there (I haven't got a router and seldom have the use for one).

It says it can also be used as a bench drill press, and my old one needs replacing, which sounds handy if it is any good. The cheap bench drill presses I have looked at were rubbish.

John, you can also get the chisel set 6, 10, 13 and 16mm from Aldi at £12.99. Sounds pretty cheap but at least they are HRC63 steel.

Alternative try Here

How would you use it for mortice locks?

Sponsored Links
clamp the door, on its side, to the side of the bench, and rotate the morticer so it goes down the side of the bench?

(assuming that like my old drill press, you can rotate the head so it is not above the table (?)

p.s. looking at the illustration again, that might be a wrong assumption :oops:

I do not know for a fact but suspect that morticer heads not designed to be rotated. Still at 60 notes its about half the cost of Draper and considerably less than others I have seen. Could be worth it even for just the one off car port job.

As an alternative if you are considering a new pillar drill you may want to look at the options of an add on morticing attachment suitable for light work http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=22746&name=morticing&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=0

How much can you afford to lose £60? Not a negative opinion per se, but this would definitely be a gamble purchase, still worth a punt IMO
Cheapy tools from Aldi/Lidl etc can throw up some nice suprises. I'm tempted by the £20 biscuit jointer.

Hey Deluks....

Did you get the biscuit jointer? I bought one, and have found it great for £20 but slightly erratic.

There are 2 main niggles with it, which at first make it seem unpredictable to use, but which can be sorted out....

1) Cutting depth
Apparently biscuits come in 3 standard sizes, these are stamped on the biscuit and are 0, 10 and 20.

Higher end biscuit jointers just have the biscuit codes marked on the depth stop, so you just turn it to the biscuit size. Whereas the Aldi jointer shows depth in millis - and is stepped, you you can only choose mad settings like 5mm, 7mm, 3mm, etc.

There isn't one to correspond with a number 10 biscuit, which needs an approx 10mm depth slot.

I figured the only way of getting round this would be to set the depth stop to 7mm, then use a spanner to alter the position of the pin that hits the depth stop, so it is in fact cutting 10mm, even when set to 7mm! I rang the PowerCraft helpline (which is actually a 3rd party called Clickspares) and the very helpful lady said this was the best way of tackling it.

Apparently they've had lots of enquiries.

Problem2: cutting height. Ideally you set the height guage to half the timber thickness, eg 9mm in 18mm stock. But depending which of the 90 degree scales you use, it can be miles out. If you look, the fence can be set at 90 degrees in 2 ways, and only one cuts at the correct height.

Hope this helps...

Having figured these annoying niggles out, I'll be much more inclined to use my Aldi bargain!

iirc the power craft range was the same as the ferm range from screwfix when they sold them,i bought a power craft bench saw and when i read the instructions they were exactly the same as the ferm saw.i also have a ferm morticer which appears to be exactly the same as the picture(mines not as snazzy as though),like with any cheap tool dont expect it to remove large ammounts in 1 pass take your time and treat the tool with respect and it will(should)last a long time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back