Premature failure of washing machine replacement bearings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Machine: Bosch WFR3269GB/12

I replaced the bearings and seal a few months ago on this machine and they have failed again (loads of noise and movement in the drum).

Before I put another replacement set in, does anyone here have any suggestion as to what I might have done wrong in fitting them? (for the moment I am assuming that the bearings weren't faulty).

There are some new rust stains leading away from the bearings, and a little rust on the outside of the inner bearing, but both bearings turn smoothly.

Both the bearings were fitted by using the previous bearings as a drift and there's no damage to the seals.

The replacement bearings and seal were a kit in a BSH box.

Before I stripped the replacement set off the machine today I measured the distance between the outer faces of the bearings and it's just over 1mm longer than the shaft bearing faces, which appears to leave plenty of scope for over tightening the pulley on refitting leading to excessive preload on the bearings. Could this cause the failure? If so, what's the recommended torque for the pulley bolt?

With the bearings removed, I measured the distance between the inner faces that the bearings sit against, and this confirmed that the bearings had been fully pressed home when fitted.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on what I might have done wrong?

Do these replacement bearings require greasing when fitting them? All the internet advice I found at the time said not.

Also, could it be that the replacement drive belt - supplied at the same time and apparently 1mm shorter than stock - could have caused the failure due to excessive side loading on the bearings?

Anyone got any suggestions on this?
thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back