pressure and flow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
gas4you said:
Bath hot tap flow pressure can look c*** due to the pipe work to it being 22mm.
You've lost me here Dave - what's your reasoning behind the idea that larger bore pipes lead to less flow (or pressure)? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
gas4you said:
Bath hot tap flow pressure can look c*** due to the pipe work to it being 22mm.
You've lost me here Dave - what's your reasoning behind the idea that larger bore pipes lead to less flow (or pressure)? :confused:

I agree......the physics dont add up!

I know nothing about physics side of it, although I do nave an old fashioned 'o' level in it ;)

I was just trying to point out to op that with a combi the best results are from a 15mm pipe and generally a larger 22mm pipe, although giving the same end result to some degree, will visually look as though the water is not coming out of the tap so fast.

Nope - you've still lost me.

Why will the water out of the tap be slower if it's fed by 22mm pipework?

Sponsored Links
Realistically I agree it doesn't but I often think it just looks as though it does, giving a false impression and as we all know combis produce better hot water from 15mm pipes.

Whatever size pipe you have pressure remains constant but quantity is greater with larger pipes as in gravity hot water systems.

I'm getting confused myself now :rolleyes: I know what I mean but am tying myself up in knots trying to write and explain it :confused:

Bit like my beer belly. The larger it gets it flops out more but more slowly :LOL:

For a given opening on a given tap, I can't see how larger bore pipework will lead to less flow from that tap.

However, the time elapsing between demand for hot water and the moment it arrives at a tap is reduced by having 15mm pipework - is that what you're thinking of?

I know exactly what he means, you are mincing words again, you pedantic sod ;) .
Bath taps give the appearance of less flow because of the larger bore pipe.

Try watering the garden with a 22mm garden hose. :LOL:

Gasman1015 said:
I know exactly what he means, you are mincing words again, you pedantic s** .
Oh, do tell. Please explain where I was being pedantic.

Bath taps give the appearance of less flow because of the larger bore pipe.
Well you give the appearance of not knowing what you're talking about. Do you have a larger bore pipe, by any chance?

Some facts (and these are true regardless of whether it's me who tells you or anyone else):

1. In a gravity fed household, the water at taps upstairs is under significantly less pressure than at taps downstairs.
2. In a household where hot is from a combi, the water at taps upstairs is under significantly less pressure than at taps downstairs.
3. Taps to which the pipework is larger than other taps give greater flow, not less.

Try watering the garden with a 22mm garden hose.
Well, I presume that you'd suggest for this experiment that I put a bath tap on the end of the hose, but I won't be doing that since it wouldn't make one iota of a difference to your pointless corollary.

Why have my subsequent posts on this topic been deleted, and by whom?

MOD 2

1 you never posted on this topic

2 you know who and why

MOD 2 said:
1 you never posted on this topic
I don't know what you mean by "never" - two of my posts were deleted, and the remaining five posts remain. :confused:

2 you know who and why
I take it from this that it was you who deleted them. I can guess why, which is that you're pursuing a vendetta. If I'm wrong, then I suppose you were wrong to say that I "know" why, in which case please enlighten me.

MOD 2 said:
1 correct
In that case it's reasonable to ask you to explain why there were deleted.

2 vendetta :LOL:
You may well laugh, but if you choose to delete my posts, and not ones posted by kevplumb, or other members, where the posts are equally mundane or equally relevant/irrelevant, and if you choose to do it persistently, and silently, and without any explanation, even when asked, then what would you call that series of actions, if not a vendetta?

3 stop bringing every post down to your argumentetive level
have a bit of crack by all means
but stop being a pain
I'm not the one arguing - I asked a reasonable question in a polite and reasonable way. If you find the question uncomfortable then that's a matter for you.

It really annoys me that certain mods alter posts and delete others for what appears to be no justifiable reason other than that they don't agree with an opinion.

Its a shame that when somebody insignificant gets a little bit of power (well they believe it to be power anyway) they just can't handle it. Its a good job they aren't in a position of real responsibility or we would all be doomed. :mad:

BoxBasher said:
It really annoys me that certain mods alter posts and delete others for what appears to be no justifiable reason other than that they don't agree with an opinion.

Its a shame that when somebody insignificant gets a little bit of power (well they believe it to be power anyway) they just can't handle it. Its a good job they aren't in a position of real responsibility or we would all be doomed. :mad:
#

so why not volenteer your services Box

And I would love to see soft with the power

(evil genius laughter HA HA HA HA)

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back