Prior To Brexit....

Is it? No great secret Tranny. The thanks/like facility has long been used (particularly on GD) as a way of saying "I'm with you on this" regardless of whether the content is even true or not. It's best taken with a pinch of salt.

Genuine thanks come from those that have benefitted from contributors. We are all aware of the difference.

Not necessarily.

And as for the O.P's views & opinions / conclusions on racism well
Is it? No great secret Tranny. The thanks/like facility has long been used (particularly on GD) as a way of saying "I'm with you on this" regardless of whether the content is even true or not. It's best taken with a pinch of salt.

Genuine thanks come from those that have benefitted from contributors. We are all aware of the difference.

Not necessarily
Over the past few months, several replies in this forum have been removed because they were quite clearly racist in nature. Yet some of these replies, prior to being removed, had been 'liked and/or thanked by other members prior to the posts being removed. Away from the forum, in the real world, anyone making racist comments similar to some made here, could possibly end up in court. Ask Paul Gascoigne. Regardless of what you say, the 'likers' and 'thankers' on these occasions were nailing their colours to the racist mast! If a comment is racist and you like and/or give thanks to that comment, what other conclusion is there? And I say that as a Brexit supporter who is against mass immigration!

What racist posts are they than ?

I know that Doggit but I was not referring to those likes and thanks. As I stated above, the likes and thanks I was referring to were those posted in support of clearly racist comments. And as far as free speech goes, speech is only free in this country as long as what is said doesn't break the law! Again, I would repeat, ask Gascoigne.

An unimaginative, inane reply aj.

what racist posts are they than ? not seen any ?

Sponsored Links
BTW, we haven't left yet. Or hadn't you noticed?

I know. I never said we did.
So "armageddon" is yet to come then when we do leave?:D lol
ie.. article 50 triggered.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that thanks and likes in gd did not show up in user totals. Has something changed?

I just thanked you.
So looks like gd patrons can boost their thanks here.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Who represents Canada

It was his personal opinion, not the Canadian govenments

Which says a lot about where the UK is right now, when someone has to offer help to a G8 country, there is something wrong

I couldn't agree more. Cameron was so arrogant in thinking he couldn't lose, that he didn't bother to prepare for even the remotest possibility of a brexit result.

I look forward to your evidence

On trade, the UK is dependent on the EU market for 45 percent of its exports. The EU is dependent on the UK for only 8 percent of EU exports.

As the EU is about 10 times as large as the UK, 8% can't be compared to 45%
I base my views on evidence, not ideology. Many here are intent on trolling, and true to the bulk of those in the Leave campaign, they show themselves to be arrogant. Something I have seen both on and off the internet.

On the basis that most of the trolling was started by the remain campaign (and yes, then carried on by the leavers) I'd have to say that it is ideology that colouring your viewpoint.

I'm never quite sure what these figures are supposed to mean.
Do they include the financial sector?
We do have a deficit with the rest of the EU, don't we?

Put me right if I have it wrong.

On trade, the UK is dependent on the EU market for 45 percent of its exports.
Therefore dependent on the rest of the world for 55%. Perhaps we could do better with the rest of the world.

The EU is dependent on the UK for only 8 percent of EU exports.
Population-ratio-wise, that seems quite good for us. How come the deficit?
I don't know about the production ratio.

Do you mean that population-ratio-wise it should only be 4.5%

For easy maths, say there were 25 equal countries in the EU and each had 50% of its trade with the rest of the world.

Then each country would be dependent on the rest of the EU for 50% of its exports but the rest of the EU would be dependent on each individual country for only 2% of its exports.

Then each country would be dependent on the rest of the EU for 50% of its exports but the rest of the EU would be dependent on each individual country for only 2% of it's exports

Sorry, but that's the same sort of maths that the Canadian High commissioner used.

We do have a deficit with the rest of the EU, don't we

Yes we do, and that proves that we import more from the EU, than we export, so they are more dependant on selling things to us, than we are to them.

The export figures are quoted in dollars, and it's the value of the goods that we sell to other countries that gets quoted, but when you look at things on a per head basis, we are less productive than even the French. We import car parts from the EU, assemble the cars, and then export them back, and it's about the most ludicrous situation going. Breaking away from the EU is going to be a bit painful, but it's going to force us to find new markets to sell to, and that'll protect us when the EU fails. Any second rate economist will tell you that each countries economy is so complex, that it has to be flexible, but as the EU has a fixed rate of exchange for all it's members, it creates a straight jacket that doesn't allow them to expand or shrink as their economy fluctuates.

We should only employ people with a business background to run the country, not idealistic politicians that are basically failed celebrities.

On trade, the UK is dependent on the EU market for 45 percent of its exports. The EU is dependent on the UK for only 8 percent of EU exports.
So we have a great deal to lose. Well done.

Meanwhile:
Eurosceptics who dream of reclaiming lost sovereignty need to explain how they advance their aims by advocating an alternative that would require Britain to apply rules it has no say in making—and to pay for the privilege.
http://www.economist.com/news/leade...ll-leave-european-union-it-needs-be-countered

And the details of Brexit will be worked out by unelected officials. The EU is a democratic institution, and we've just

Exactly. We are small compared to the EU. We have far less bargaining power in future trade deals with other countries than we did in the EU.

On the basis that most of the trolling was started by the remain campaign (and yes, then carried on by the leavers) I'd have to say that it is ideology that colouring your viewpoint.
http://www.economist.com/news/leade...ll-leave-european-union-it-needs-be-countered

A large portion of the article here:
Brexit delusions

The Utopia of globally minded Eurosceptics is a British economy set free from burdensome Brussels regulation, retaining access to Europe’s single market, no longer paying into the EU budget, trading freely with the rest of the world and setting its own limits on immigration. Yet as our special report this week sets out in detail, every part of this ideal is either questionable or misleading.

Take regulation. The Paris-based OECD club of mostly rich countries says that Britain has the least-regulated labour market and second-least-regulated product market in Europe. The most damaging measures, such as planning restrictions and the new living wage, are home-grown. Post-Brexit Britain would almost certainly choose not to scrap much red tape, since the call for workplace, financial and environmental regulation is often domestic and would remain as strong as ever.

Moreover, if Britain wanted full access to the European single market, it would have to observe almost all the EU’s rules. That is the case in Norway and Switzerland, non-members that both also pay into the EU budget (in Norway’s case, roughly 90% of Britain’s net contribution per head). Eurosceptics who dream of reclaiming lost sovereignty need to explain how they advance their aims by advocating an alternative that would require Britain to apply rules it has no say in making—and to pay for the privilege.

If, instead, Britain wishes to escape the EU’s rules, it will lose full access to the single market. The argument that, because Britain imports more from the EU than the other way round, it is in a strong bargaining position is unconvincing: the EU takes almost half of British exports, whereas Britain takes less than 10% of the EU’s. A free-trade deal in goods might be negotiable, but it would not cover services (including financial services), which make up a rising share of British exports. And one thing is sure: if Britain establishes a precedent by leaving, the rest of the EU will not rush to reward it.

Next is the assertion that a post-Brexit Britain could trade more with dynamic economies beyond Europe. Leave aside the fact that German exports to China are three times as big as Britain’s. The broader objection is that a Britain in search of free-trade deals with these giants would lose the negotiating clout of belonging to the world’s biggest single market. A prime example is the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership being negotiated by America and the EU (see article). A post-Brexit Britain would be excluded from TTIP.

So we'll still have to abide by EU law, have no say in it, still likely have to pay the EU so we can trade, and still likely have to have free movement. Go team!

So we have a great deal to lose. Well done.

Meanwhile:

And the details of Brexit will be worked out by unelected officials. The EU is a democratic institution, and we've just

Exactly. We are small compared to the EU. We have far less bargaining power in future trade deals with other countries than we did in the EU.

A large portion of the article here:

So we'll still have to abide by EU law, have no say in it, still likely have to pay the EU so we can trade, and still likely have to have free movement. Go team![/QUOTE]
Why would we have to pay to allow their manufacturers to have access to the UK market? I can see BMW and Mercedes refusing to sell us their cars if we refused to pay....Not!

I can see BMW and Mercedes refusing to sell us their cars if we refused to pay....Not!
We won't be able to afford them at this rate:
Sterling has fallen to a three-year low against the euro after Theresa May outlined the timetable for starting Brexit negotiations.

It also hit its lowest level against the dollar since the beginning of July.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37538459

It'll be parity with the euro soon, and then parity with the dollar.......

Additionally the UK market counts for about 1.5% for BMW's European market.
That's about half of BMW's global market!

Average Mercedes car sales in UK is about 0.7% of their global market!

Last edited:
So we'll still have to abide by EU law, have no say in it, still likely have to pay the EU so we can trade, and still likely have to have free movement. Go team!
Why would we have to pay to allow their manufacturers to have access to the UK market? I can see BMW and Mercedes refusing to sell us their cars if we refused to pay....Not!
If we want access to the EU market, we will have to pay. See Norway or Switzerland:

"Norway and Switzerland do pay money to the EU; contributing to the EU's operational expenditure and to the administrative costs of the European Commission. "

A House of Commons committee concluded in a recent report that both Switzerland and Norway "are in practice obliged to adopt EU legislation over which they have had no effective say,""
https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-debate-what-do-switzerland-and-norway-tell-us-about-life-outside-eu/
http://www.efta.int/eea/eu-programmes/application-finances/eea-efta-budget
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201314/cmselect/cmfaff/87/8709.htm

And of course in all likelihood, immigration is hardly going to be affected.

And lets not forget that when we abide by EU law, we actually implement it in anyway we see fit. A good example is Environmental law. Where we have been required to stop polluting from heavy industry, we implemented it in our way. The EU simply provided a framework that we had to follow. That's from a democratically elected EU BTW.

Much of the detail for Brexit will be decided by unelected UK officials.

Sponsored Links
Back