Problem in Oil Pipe To Tank.

Hi Kenny
So, either the tank is empty :eek:
Or the valve(s) aren't doing what they should
Or the filter is blocked!
At least we seem to be getting somewhere!
John :)

Hi...well then...perhaps we are getting somewhere.

When I close the wheel up and loosen the pipe nut....hardly any oil comes out.

However when I open the wheel with the nut off then oil pours out from the tank. Perhaps I can assume that the filter is clear?

As there doesn't appear to be any oil in the line I am thinking two things.

1. The oil now needs syringing up from below to get it to the Tiger Loop.

2. The Tiger Loop needs replacing

3. Both need doing.

Any further thought appreciated.

Kenny.

P.S. I just cannot open that filter holder.....and am loath to use force.

Sponsored Links
OK Kenny that seems to be fine - if you are getting a flow from the tank then the filter must be clear.
So, the next step is to syringe the oil from the tank up to the tiger loop and then onwards to the burner - with all valves open at the tank.
This should sort things!
Regards

The fuel line and priming bulb from an outboard motor can be used to suck the oil up to the boiler through the tigerloop. :idea:

If you know anyone with a boat they may be able to help you.

OK Kenny that seems to be fine - if you are getting a flow from the tank then the filter must be clear.
So, the next step is to syringe the oil from the tank up to the tiger loop and then onwards to the burner - with all valves open at the tank.
This should sort things!
Regards

Yes...I feel I am getting somewhere now.,,,,,

You know that syringe....is it possibe for me to buy one and use it?

And....if once I get the oil up to the Tiger Loop do you think perhaps I can fit it using like for like connections off the one that may or may not have gone belly up?

All I want is to get to that point, 'phone Worcester and say "Please come back....no ice in the oil....oil is getting to a brand new Tiger Loop".

Or....once I achieve that...do you think once I press the lock out button then the oil will draw to the boiler and start to work?

Providing the boiler is O.K. that is! :)

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the BES website, part number 16392. Thats an oil syringe - £50 quid though.

Ta for that info John. I can probably get that part a lot cheaper as my Wife has a Staff discount card for Travis Perkins.... Keyline....CCF...Wicks...Benchmark....Tile Giant and City Plumbing.

For instance I have ordered a Tiger Loop at £22.65 form Travis Perkins and they are around 40 to 50 quid online I believe.

I could get that OIL LINE SUCTION PUMP from one of the above I guess.

But...I am thinking that once I have the new Tiger Loop which is coming on Wednesday....I might just as well call in the cavalry to fit it and draw the oil up at the same time.

The problem with trying to find the Cavalry is perhaps finding a Cowboy instead! :LOL:

P.S. Cheapest i've seen a Tiger Loop...

See details Tigerloop TON110I Heating Oil De-aerator / Deaerator
SKU: TON110I

Tigerloop external Oil de-aerator / Deaerator Tiger Loop has 1/4" BSP connections

SALE PRICE, LIMITED STOCKS !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Market price: UK£36.75 (excl. VAT)
Our price: UK£31.23 (excl. VAT) save 15%
Plus VAT.

The fuel line and priming bulb from an outboard motor can be used to suck the oil up to the boiler through the tigerloop. :idea:

If you know anyone with a boat they may be able to help you.

Naa...I don't know anyone with a boat. Like I say....just as soon as I have the new Tiger Loop I will try and get someone in who knows what they are doing.

After all....if I have the part...and he knows what he is doing I guess I should only be paying call out and time spent doing that job.

Fitting new Tiger Loop (if the other one has gone belly up) and drawing oil up from the tank.

My Worcester Boiler is supposed to be working fine.

If it is not....I go ballistic! :mad:

Very competitive prices those!
Fingers crossed for a result on Wednesday!

I DO NOT BELIEVE IT!

You know I sent the above E. Mail off to Worcester Service dept. and Customer complaints.......WELL....I got this E. Mail this morning.

25 January 2011
Our ref: JDC/306642890

Dear Mr Thain

Your comments are duly noted and it is true that a customer should be aware of the service on offer from any provider. Worcester is a boiler manufacturer only and our engineers only work on our product. Other service providers, such as British Gas, will offer a range of cover from boiler only through to an entire heating system.

I note that a recall visit for our engineer is booked for today. If you require any further assistance after this visit, please let us know.

In the meantime, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Yours sincerely

Judy Curran
Customer Relations Co-ordinator
Support Services Correspondence Team
BOSCH Thermotechnology Ltd
Cotswold Way
Warndon
Worcester

AND a Worcester Bosch engineer has already been (Obviously with a remit to sort it) and got my Hot Water and Heating back on! :D

He went down to the tank and did whatever......checked out the Tiger Loop, pulled oil up, worked on the boiler and Voila...we are up and running and warm again.

The engineer thought that there had been some air in the line.....but then...he wouldn't say "It was the boiler all along sir" would he? (if it was)

So I thanked him, gave him a tenneras a little" thank you" (I already feel rather mean that I should have given him more...but he did seem rather pleased.

He said any further problems to ask for Colin. (nice one).

Next time here I will ask for John and the other very nice people who have helped me here. I want to buy you all a pint (me being boozercruiser like).

Anyway.....look...thank you so much for spending the time helping me...I am ever so gratefull. :D

Just in conclusion....obviously it was not the Tiger Loop, but I will keep the new one I am getting for back up.

The missus is dragging me out to Aberystwyth shopping now....so Bye...and

Many Thanks again. :D

We are so pleased for you, and delighted that we could help. You seem like an ideal customer!
Stay warm
Regards

Thank you for your kind remarks John. For your and hopefully others amusement, below is an E. Mail that I have just sent off to Worcester in answer to the above E. Mail they sent me this morning. :)

I must particularly thank Burnerman2 (is he your lad then?) :LOL: for giving me a 'copy and paste' situation (read previous) which helped me in forming my original E. mail to Worcester.

Hello Judi Curan and Service Correspondence Team,
Thank you for your informative reply which gave my Wife and I a very warm feeling as we where very cold at the time!
Your very nice Worcester Engineer Colin came around 9.00AM, asked me to explain what had gone on in respect of the Heatslave 18/25 boiler being down.
After I had briefed him he went to work.

Establishing that the boiler was receiving no oil he proceeded to check the outside Tiger Loop and the oil line right down to the tank.

Now then, either he was under instructions to try and find the actual source of the problem, OR he was the really nice type who was prepared to go the extra mile to get our heating back on.

He did just that and advised me that the problem had likely been air in the line.

So, I think if is fair to say that the oil was coming out of the tank and past the filter but just could not get up the pipe due to a bit of air.....likely caused by freezing temperatures. The Tiger Loop was and is working perfectly.

If your Engineer Rob who came out last Friday and Saturday had checked back on the line just that little bit more ("'The garage door....and no further" seemed to be his attitude) what could my Wife and I and Worcester possibly have avoided? Please allow me to guess...............

1. A second return visit on Saturday and associated costs to Worcester.

2. The installation of a brand new burner, a solenoid and a couple of
other bits at a cost of a few hundred pounds to Worcester.

3 A further visit today from your Engineer Colin who put the problem
right....and associated costs to Worcester.

4. Two Pensioner customers having a further four days of cold and
discomfort.

Now then....for you as a business....and with respect....does this make any sense?
Now then....for you as a business....and with respect....does this make any sense?

Perhaps it just might have been that the problem was in some way associated with the boiler itself and that the new parts where indeed needed anyway. (now we will never know) BUT...how can an engineer establish this if there is no oil coming through, even though I have around 1400 Litres of oil in the tank.

I would have thought that it made business sense to do all one could to get that oil to the boiler.....even if it meant actually going outside to try and possibly use a plumbers syringe to draw oil up the line. Just a few more minutes work.

Your further thoughts in respect of my humble and rather novice observations would be appreciated.

While I am in correspondence with you, please allow me to mention something else.

When I had the boiler installed I also had a Worcester Front Servicing Danesmoor FS Series Digital Plug In Twin Channel 7 Day Programmer fitted.

So, when we don't want heating I can do that and just have hot water. BUT...when we just want Heating and NOT hot water then the boiler heats the water up as well anyway.

This is just a total waste of oil and money cost to us. Is there a way out of this, because if there is not, then this is a rather serious flaw in the boiler.

As a bye the way....could you please advise me if Martyn Bridges is still your Director of Marketing and Technical Support. I intend writing to him in respect of the issues I talk about above.

Best Regards

Since then I have received back....

(I have also requested BOTH Engineer reports)

Our ref: JDC/306644740
Dear Mr Thain

All your comments are noted.

While Martyn Bridges remains with the company, responsibility for servicing lies with Mr Ian Cockett (Director of Service Operations) and primarily the attending engineer’s Area Manager who will now be forwarded your correspondence and asked to reply to your concerns over our engineers’ remit on oil boiler breakdowns.

Please allow us 10 working days to respond.

Kind regards

Wednesday 26th January 2010.

Good morning and Hello. Thinking further about what has happened during this situation please allow me to make one further observation.....

If your first engineer Rob had said something like....

"Look, I have done everything that I can to get the boiler going. However, it now looks like the problem is in the pipe up from the tank. I will look at that, but if it proves that the problem is indeed outside then I am going to have to charge you for any time spent on that, including any materials"

I could have understood that and I would have agreed right away. Anything is more preferable than him just driving away like he did.

In my humble opinion as previously outlined, anything would have served Worcester and I better than what happened.

Please pass my further observations on as you outlined to me you would.

Best Regards

I think your heatslave will have a thermostat for hot water as well as heating. Just turn the hot water one to off, and you will get only heating. Having said that, the amount you use to heat up the heatstore is not very much, and you will always have some demand for hot water.

I think your heatslave will have a thermostat for hot water as well as heating. Just turn the hot water one to off, and you will get only heating. Having said that, the amount you use to heat up the heatstore is not very much, and you will always have some demand for hot water.

With respect....the Boiler has two dials. One for Hot Water numbered 1 (lowest Setting) to 6 (Maximum setting) One for Heating the same.

Separate to that I had an optional Worcester Digital Plug In Twin Channel 7 day progammer fitted by Worcester.

I can tell you absolutely that even when the water setting on the programmer is set to OFF then the water still heats up if the heating is on.

I have had the boiler for over two years so I should know.

On the other hand....if we do not want heating then we can use the programmer to either time hot water or just leave it on.

We do not need to have the heating on just because we want hot water.

Now then.....there is only my Wife and I living here and we find that if we put the hot water on for just an hour in the morning then that will serve our needs for the day. AND....if we want hot water at another time...I can always click it on.

Also, we toodle off on rather a lot of holidays during the winter we leave the heating on at around 14 degrees to come on so as to keep the property O.K.

Do we really want the hot water on under either circumstance? I think not.

Would you keep a kettle on boil all day long just in case you want some hot water at some time? again..I think not.

Oil is expensive enough without me thinking "the amount you use to heat up the heatstore is not very much, and you will always have some demand for hot water".[/quote]

Would you leave the heating on all day and your not going to be in? No?

Well I don't want to be paying for Hot Water at times when I don't want it.

And there is always a kettle of water if I need a little water.

Cheers

Boozercruiser.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back