Problem with a ceramic hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been called out to take a look at a ceramic hob but dont have a great deal of experience with ceramic hobs.

The customer has told me that one of the burner plates trips the circuit breaker whenever it is switchd on and that this started hapening after a pan of water boild over and tripd the electric.

I'm just looking for a bit of advice befor i remove the oven to get at the hob.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
This is unusual the whole idea of the ceramic top is that it seals the unit giving an easy clean area.

Clearly water has got in and first point is to try to work out where. I would be looking for faulty seals including around any knobs.

There are three types of ceramic hob.
1) Element under the area there are elements very like the very old hobs but covered so one can't touch live wires.
2) Halogen these use radiant rather than convected heat not had one but told they are better then old type.
3) Induction these heat the iron in the pan and are the top of the range.
There are also two types of control.
a) Knobs this is also split into direct drive and magnetic drive.
b) Touch control just a gimmick really knobs are far better.
Clearly the type of ceramic hob will make a huge difference as to where to look for the fault.

Pre-ceramic hobs the element was often a mineral insulated unit and the ends could easy absorb moisture so it was common to have problems when a pan boiled over and the cooker was on RCD. The ovens still use these type of elements. But I would not expect to find that type of element under a ceramic hob. Clearly you will need some sealant to re-seal after to stop it happening again.

But I would look at knobs (if fitted) first as most likely place (unless magnetic coupled) for water to get in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back