problem with a halstead best 40

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just registered and need a little help with my best 40.
It won't start.the book says look for 1vdc or 10vdc at terminal 1 on the ignition controler. I have 1vdc but when it tries to start i get a reading of 10 volts, then it goes back to 1 vdc. I don't know whether to replace the aquastat pcb or the ignition device.
Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
The few of these that I have been to have all had the ignition pcb faulty.

Are the MI's not more specific in their fault finding?

Fitted Ignition PCB to one of these recently, - exactly same symptoms as described. Strange thing was, when I started the boiler it ran for 5 secs, then cut out, with the re-set light on the (new) ign pcb box coming on. It would not then re-set, no matter what I did. - As it was late on, I called back in the morning, and tried again - It re-set immediately, and works perfectly now. Strange.

If it helps, the one described here, would not run the fan either, until the Ign PCB was changed.

You do have to turn the boiler stat knob full up before they'll reset.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replys. I have had to wait for the suppliers to open before I can get any parts. So tommorrow I will order an ignition device. I'll let you know when i've fitted it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back