Problem with a tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I hope this is an easy to fix problem, but was wondering if someone could help.

I have two taps in the bathroom sink (pictured) and the cold one this week started to feel loose when you turn it for water to come through it. As the week has got on, it has felt even more loose and now you really have to push it down and twist for any water to come out at all (and it will only be a light amount).

Does anyone know what the problem is and how I can fix it?

cheers

Sponsored Links
I suggest you replace the tap insert. Unscrew the white tap cover. Turn off cold at stop tap (and drain at cold tap at basin if tank fed) unscrew the capstan head and use an adjustable spanner to remove the insert. Replace (if it's a bath tap it's likely to be a 3/4 inch fitting) and reverse the above

Sponsored Links
it may just be a loose spindle - circlip may have come off - or the valve may just be too loose. try tightening it.

if you are going to buy a new tap insert - they cost about 2-3 pounds but make sure you take your old one with you to the store - some have different threads and when screwed into the tap seat will not go in fully and the tap body will not fit over the top of it properley - and it will not work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back