Problem with ceiling light help needed

Sorry to contradict you, but if the lamp holder is ES it very much matters which is L and N.

DS

No mate always happy to be contradicted if I am wrong but in this instance I did actually say "Some times" doesn't matter. :)

Sponsored Links
Looks more like an E14; would that give the same issue, and why please, and would the nose or the thread be live.

Yes, but in this instance we have a picture of the ES lamp holder on the OP's light fitting(y)

DS

ah OK yeah I see it now. Didn't notice it first time but I am still not wrong LOL

Sponsored Links
people go easy on new member, they signed up forum to learn so that the right step to get advice and that what we should do.
While i agree if unsure call a competent electrician to rewire correctly.
Can you upload picture of light switch, current light pendant and new light fitting i will then show you how to test and verify wiring using a multimeter in continuity mode.

Hi all thanks for your help. We are finally working on this. When we look at the wires under a bright light we can actually see a very faint blue and brown so are assuming they are correct. We have tested using the continuity meter as you advised however both live and neutral beep for both the inner and outer on the lamp holder. Assuming its correct that the remaining earth wire has no beep. The chandelier also has an additional earth wire fitted to the actual unit.

Also when testing does it matter which end goes to the wire and which goes to the lamp? it seems to work both ways.

Can you advise why both wires might be beeping for both setting?

Once up whilst electric is turned off is there a test on the multimeter to check its safe before turning on?

Actually the only electrical thats works direct from ac is bulbs everything else is normally converted using a transformer or inverter of some kind.

Although the polarity of a bulb does not matter it will work either way its always good practice to follow, brown = live, blue = neutral and earth= green / yellow

I would not connect unless you are sure there is no faults before connecting, the only tests once connected are insulation resistance while circuit is dead and this cannot be done with multimeter it requires a special meter to perform.

please post some pictures of chandelair and where the bulb fits as there is big difference in wiring from bayonet cap to eddison screw

Last edited:
Thanks Sajeel, the light fitting is fine we have had it up before the only reason this has happened is because we had a ceiling rose fitted so had to rim back the wires to fit. We did follow all instructions and both are still beeping

there is a faint blue and brown as somebody else has mentioned

Actually the only electrical thats works direct from ac is bulbs
Kettles.
Toasters.
Electric griddles.
Food mixers.
Fan heaters.
Convector heaters.
Oil filled radiators.
Storage heaters.
Heaters in washing machines.
Heaters in dishwashers.
Tumble driers.
Immersion heaters.
Electric ovens.
Traditional electric or halogen or ceramic hobs.
Vacuum cleaners.
Lawnmowers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back