Problem with new Intergas boiler install. HRE 18 OV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I was hoping to get advice from someone who is familiar with and has experience with Intergas boilers.

I have had an Intergas HRE 18 OV boiler installed this week, but the Gas Engineer cannot get it to run.
This was installed on an open vented system along with 9 new radiators replacing the old ones. The system is open vented, with an F/E tank.

The boiler will occasionally run for around 5 minutes, then shut down and not run again for many hours afterward.

It's built in programmer has been set on Constant-On as we use an external programmer. The room stat is at the correct temperature, and the circulation pump runs normally once the programmer and thermostat are set. Problem is, the boiler wont fire up at all, or only for 5 minutes, then shut down and show a number "1" on the control panel indicating correct central heating temperature has been reached (above spanner icon).

No fault codes have appeared, and it goes through all the correct modes in sequence when firing up and shutting down (according to the operating mode numbers shown on display)

The engineer has spent days bleeding, power flushing/ checking for circulation, air, testing the pump, thermostats and everything else that could possibly cause a problem with the sensors in the boiler.

When the boiler is put on "test" mode with full fan speed, it works perfectly and the heaters all warm up nicely. The Engineer has been in touch with the Intergas technical department who seem baffled too, as it runs fine in "test" mode.
They suggested swapping some wiring over and trying a few different things, but still no luck.

We have narrowed it down to some sort of fault with the flow switch or similar. He is going request an Intergas engineer to come out and have a look as the rest of the central heating system seems fine.

I just wanted to know if anyone here may have suggestions about what the problem could be, or if something has been missed? - The boiler is brand new and purchased from an official supplier.

I would really appreciated any help, as we have been without heat and only immersion hot water for nearly a week.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I do not think that the OV intergas boiler has a flow switch (afaik)

There isn't a flow switch.

Would be interesting to plug my laptop in and see what the boiler "thinks" is going on.

What temperature are the two pipes coming or of the top of the boiler?

y plan? s plan wiring ok?

2/3 port valves working?

is it pumping over?

lack of fault codes would suggest boiler is fine.

trv's opened ok? its been warmer this week they may have been closing down. bypass fitted?

has the ch output been adjusted?

Sponsored Links
Has the installer removed the link between 6 and 7 on the low voltage side ?

I wonder if he has put the switched live into 3 instead of 1.

Not being in front of the boiler means analysis is difficult, however you could ask your installer to try the following

increase parameter 8 from 1 to 15,

and parameter C to 0 as a temporary fix.

if you have the manual you could try your self.

Tim.

Possible, But the heating will still work when needed.

Status 1 can occur as normal, but if there is a system fault not severe enough to up set the boiler, it will happen when the top sensor (S1) hits 120 ish degrees and/or there is too big a delta betwixt it and the bottom sensor (S2).

This can happen when the circulation is inadequate for whatever reason.

In test mode the boiler will just run until it hits "self protection" levels, so yes an indicator that it is OK in and of itself.

There are a few settings thatt can be fiddled with, but the OP needs to be a little more active at this st a general ;)

Not being in front of the boiler means analysis is difficult, however you could ask your installer to try the following

increase parameter 8 from 1 to 15,

and parameter C to 0 as a temporary fix.

if you have the manual you could try your self.

Tim.

Not sure what changing P8 would achieve?

Putting PC to 0 might make the problem worse - or help point to the cause ;)

The key info is the temp of the two pipes at the top.

Until someone gives even the most basic details of this everything else is just speculation.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the boiler itself!

Tony

Hi everyone.

Thank you for all your responses. Please bare with me as I don't know how to quote multiple replies. To answer all of your questions:

Mcmoby69:

It's a Y plan, and been assured wiring has been double checked and is fine.

Brand New Honeywell 3 port valve replaced old one, been tested.

No evidence of pumping over.

TRV's all fine and good quality Drayton TRV4's.

Not sure what you mean by ch adjustment?

Picasso:

The installer told me he tried removing link 6 and 7 as advised by Intergas over the phone, no difference.

The Baker:

I will try this, thanks.

Agile:

I have no official temperature readings, but was told the pipes dont get very hot at all as the boiler shuts down before any significant heat is pushed through the system. While running in test mode, the installer says the pipes feel just right, not overheating or too cold.

Hi, just a quick update and wanted to get some further advice:

I thought I would explore the service code menu as suggested by another forum member.

Having gone through the whole list, all parameters were set exactly the same as indicated in the manual (factory default)

I tried changing the parameter on 1 to 1, it was previously on 3.

So when previously it was set to 3 (Heating only), the new setting is 1 (Heating only + External DHW tank).

After I made this change, the boiler started up right away (both central heating and hot water set to "on" on the programmer).

The heaters all started heating up properly and hot water flowed through all pipes including the ones going into hot water cylinder.

It Finally felt like everything was working normally, but the boiler didn't stop and start, just constantly ran.

I'm not sure exactly what mode this is, as while the boiler is working like this, the number on the panel is 6 (above spanner) but there is nothing in the manual that indicates what this means.

I also noticed, while running, the light next to the picture of the tap illuminated instead of the one next to the picture of the heater as it was previously.

Also, the boiler seems to be running on a higher speed than before.

I ran it for a while, but decided to turn it all off in case this is an incorrect way for it to be used and may cause further problems?

Any further input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

He is going request an Intergas engineer to come out and have a look as the rest of the central heating system seems fine.

Has the Intergas engineer turned up? Don't do anything till they check boiler out, I would complain if it not working.

Daniel.

Not yet, installer tried to get in touch yesterday to arrange visit, but they dont seem to work weekends.

Have to wait until Monday morning to find out. Any experience with their service? Are they good?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back