Problem with Vertical radiator only heating some elements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just installed a vertical 6 panel Vulkan radiator (from B&Q) and water is flowing through it but only 2 of the panels get hot (I actually bought 2 of differnt designs and both exhibit the same problem).

Counting from the inlet side; panels 2 and 3 get hot, panels 4,5 & 6 get warm at the top only and panel 1 is warm all over. I have bled the system but it still seems as if I have some air locks somewhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as, try as I might, I can't think what to do next (nor can my plumber). I presume there are "plugs" in at least the lower connecting pipe to prevent any short cuts but the logic of what is happening defies me.

Thanks Steve

Sponsored Links
Steve - did you ever manage to solve your problem? I also have the same problem with the same radiators from B&Q

thanks
Dawn

The description in the first posting indicates a lack of sufficient flow through the radiator.

As suggested correctly balancing the whole system may be necessary to ensure enough flow is available for this one.

Unfortunately balancing is a task which is rarely understood and most people fitting rads have little understanding of the scientific principles involved.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Steve , did you have any joy on this issue - i have installed a vulkan vertical (1800 , 440 mm) - it gurgles although it is well bled, and it seems not to heat all panels correctly

I have just installed a vertical 6 panel Vulkan radiator (from B&Q) and water is flowing through it but only 2 of the panels get hot (I actually bought 2 of differnt designs and both exhibit the same problem).

Counting from the inlet side; panels 2 and 3 get hot, panels 4,5 & 6 get warm at the top only and panel 1 is warm all over. I have bled the system but it still seems as if I have some air locks somewhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as, try as I might, I can't think what to do next (nor can my plumber). I presume there are "plugs" in at least the lower connecting pipe to prevent any short cuts but the logic of what is happening defies me.

Thanks Steve

I think these rads are only to be used on closed/sealed heating systems with pressures up to 3 bar or so the instructions say. Did you get it sorted? Was there any blockage in your system?

bit of an old post ?...some rads have baffles to aid flow and direction of flow has to be observed

Hi,I posted something similar yesterday,my 12 tube 1800 x200 rad ran fine on a 26 year old micro bore system until I had a recent boiler change. Done the balancing thing pressure running hot at 2.2 bar but still very cool. Gone from open vent system to sealed system.
I,m thinking that during flush out (not pressure) some debris has moved and is restricting the flow at the TRV and that's why it heats up in the middle,ie restricted flow = faster flow but lower volume and it!so volume we need! The fast jet of water starts to rise as it speed reduces,where middle of rad!
My installers don,t know what to do!!!

Hi Andy, yes magnaclean. The installers came back yesterday and tried balancing the system but to no avail, I,ve been having ago this morning since my last post and I think I might have cracked it.
We have been running the new system from a lounge located wireless room stat which I was advised to do ,my old boiler ran from a prog stat in hallway.
Now we are told to run the system with the lounge and dinning room rads at full TRV setting,both big doubles,it looks like the lounge rad is robbing the system and that one was,nt touched during balancing. More to do but I appear to have made progress and it,s a balanced flow issue. Thans

Sorted!!! Nothing to do with it being a vertical rad but all about balance,the dumbos came back yesterday and said they balanced the system,actually they did nothing appart from spin me a load of ........ !!! Thanks for all your helpful comments,great site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back