Product to protect workbench chipboard top please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I purchased a workbench recently that resides in my home office, but it's already pretty marked (pen, grease etc) up so would like to protect it in some way so as I can wipe away marks, spills etc.

I'll like it keep the nature look so paint not required but as a total DIY noob, not sure what else I can use? Clean varnish perhaps?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
A sheet of laminate on ply over the top.?
If it has grease on it already then it's shagged.

As said if it's stained then it's too late.
There is always the option of a glass top for an office workbench , I'm assuming that you won't be doing anything other than office work on it no hammering and banging. Piece of glass with polished edges would be easy to clean and allow the natural look of the wood to show through, I've used it on a couple of pieces of furnature myself.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. It's not an expensive workbench and only using it for building/repairing PC's etc, so light useage. I know it will take a few dings here and there but just thinking that if I coat it with something it will last a bit longer before needing to replace. Doesn't need to have a perfect finish etc, just something to protect against spills etc.

I've come across something called polyurethane varnish. Will this do the job?

A piece of formica glued straight to the top should solve your problem. Easy to wipe clean and fairly resistant to most things. ;) ;)

If it's just a cheap workbench, accept that it is going to get marked and damaged. It is not supposed to look like a french-polished tabletop.

If you want you can saw a piece of thick ply or flooring chip to size and bolt it to the top, when it gets damaged turn it over and look at the nice side, when it gets damaged again throw it on the bonfire and bolt on a new piece.

If you can get a piece of kitchen worktop (laminated chipboard) it is wipe clean and hard wearing, not very expensive, especially if you can find a damaged piece going cheap that has enough length left in fair condition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back