Proper Procedure Decomissioning Central Heating Systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anybody please explain or post a link on how to decommission central heating systems (vented and unvented) in the correct procedure. I can't find the relevant information anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
Don't know the correct procedure, but I bet your local gypsy's wouldn't hang about getting it out!

De-commission? What exactly do you mean - just draining the system or removing the boiler? I would first isolate the electricity, gas and mains cold water, and then drain the system.

gasmarkone said:
Don't know the correct procedure, but I bet your local gypsy's wouldn't hang about getting it out!

You're wrong! The local 'Scallies' would beat them to it. ;)

Sponsored Links
This is a set procedure which colleges require students to know!

Perhaps he was asleep or awol during the lecture?

Tony

chrishutt said:
De-commission? What exactly do you mean - just draining the system or removing the boiler? I would first isolate the electricity, gas and mains cold water, and then drain the system.

I'm currently at college doing a gas course and one of the questions in my craft studies book is:

Decommissioning - Your heating system is to be taken out of use as the building that it is now installed in is now unoccupied.

Research and describe the decommissioning procedure.

I've looked in books and online, but can't find anything. Thanks for the quick response, your answer seems spot on but I was just wondering if there was a standard procedure, what with all the regulations etc that are around today.

Agile said:
This is a set procedure which colleges require students to know!

Perhaps he was asleep or awol during the lecture?

Tony

We havent covered this yet. We've just been told to research this ourselves. :rolleyes:

Perhaps they expect you to do some original thought rather than just asking someone on the internet?

Think and post your thoughts in not less than 120 words and we will comment !

Tony

Most colleges don't teach the students anything. They just ask them questions, then when the wrong answers come in, they tell them that they are wrong and that they have to find the right answer :confused:

Agile said:
Perhaps they expect you to do some original thought rather than just asking someone on the internet?

Tony

I'll tell you what my thoughts are in two - Go *******s! :LOL:

You need to give it some deep thought and expand upon:

1. Is it safe to decommission the system. If not it needs to be made safe or the risks controlled - eg materials which may do you harm asbestos in the flue, asbestos in gaskets, chemicals in system, is it gas or oil fired, turn off gas??, turn off electricity, remove fuses, turn off oil ??, make sure valves are holding and that electricity is in fact isolated, allow to cool down, etc

2. Once it is made safe or risks are controlled, carry out correct procedures - drain system, disconnect pipework, cap off any ends, terminate electrics, if oil consider draining down oil, all to environmental protection acts, etc, remove components.

3. Once components are removed ensure they are stored safely and then disposed of safely and correctly.

You can write a lot of words about it - think about dangers and procedures.

And Clipper while you are at college work hard at it the industry needs good keen guys

noonespecial said:
think about dangers and procedures
If we all started every day like that I don't suppose any of us would even get out bed. I'm a bit worried that the next generation of plumbers (and everyone else) are going to be so "risk-averse" that the whole country will be taken over by foreigners who still have a bit of entrepreneurial spirit about them (or is that already happening?).

B.O.B DOLE said:
Clipper said:
Agile said:

Tony

I'll tell you what my thoughts are in two - Go ****! :LOL:

dont be to dis hearted clipper this is the kind of abuse you get on here
it ,s just the reguler prats who come on here thinking they know it all, but asking a question as you have done they love to belittle you, take no notice of these idiots. they are all perched on the top of the tree with you know who and one day someone will come along with an axe and chop them down.....

I'm not too disheartened BOB DOLE as I have looked at many threads on this forumn and seen for myself how some posters like to make others look like incompetent fools - so I was half expecting it anyway.

Now how does that song go? I'm a lumberjack and I'm alright.... :)

noonespecial said:
You need to give it some deep thought and expand upon:

1. Is it safe to decommission the system. If not it needs to be made safe or the risks controlled - eg materials which may do you harm asbestos in the flue, asbestos in gaskets, chemicals in system, is it gas or oil fired, turn off gas??, turn off electricity, remove fuses, turn off oil ??, make sure valves are holding and that electricity is in fact isolated, allow to cool down, etc

2. Once it is made safe or risks are controlled, carry out correct procedures - drain system, disconnect pipework, cap off any ends, terminate electrics, if oil consider draining down oil, all to environmental protection acts, etc, remove components.

3. Once components are removed ensure they are stored safely and then disposed of safely and correctly.

You can write a lot of words about it - think about dangers and procedures.

And Clipper while you are at college work hard at it the industry needs good keen guys

Cheers noonespecial that really gives me plenty of information to work with and shows me that there is in fact a hell of alot involved.

I am working hard at college and I'm very keen to get on well in the gas industry. Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back