Proving very difficult to get a plumber

It can be a good idea to get a rough spec sorted out before you contact people and I'd of thought the guys on here can help with that.

e.g. Maybe the Glow-worm boiler is no good (or maybe it is ....?). I had something similar with a guy that only installed Baxi's... He had a deal going with the manufacturer ;)

Sponsored Links
i dont want to put your down bikerguy but...

to have so many plumbers reject you as a customer it leads me to believe that your are doing something which is setting off alarm bells in them. i know that i would never turn down work if i did not have a reason.

most plumbers/gas engineers are self employed and have to manage risks the best that they can. it maybe you are just to big a risk :confused:

if i still lived near you i would come and give you a quote(used to live in grangemouth)

yeah i can see this being an issue.

We had a guy come to do a quote. They spent a while at the house looking around and discussing options etc. A few days later I got an polite email saying the job was too big for them and they wouldn't be quoting. I've got no issues with this - its the other guys that came to the same conclusion and didn't send the email that wind me up !

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't entertain a 24KW combi.

Go for at least 30KW or more but no more than 37KW.

24 KW is approx 9 litres per minute hot water

30KW is approx 12 litres of hot water

And,37 KW will deliver 15 litres at a temp rise of 35 degrees.

Depending of course on water pressure/flow and gas supply size etc.

BTW, if I were you I would try some plumbers in Glasgow. Try The Glaswegian specifically for quotes and do as people here have advised as in give them an idea of what you want and ask for a price on the phone.

You can get a 24KW heatpack with copper for about £900 from here,

http://www.mrcentralheating.com/

Why exactly has Bikerguy been abused in this thread ? He made a perfectly sensible request, only to be responded to in a very bizarre fashion, by a select few.

Bikerguy....
Maybe its because a large percentage of plumbers pick and choose their work, and have a reputation for having little in the way of common manners, and subsequently are unreliable ! All the poor guy wanted was a quote, and clearly they weren't being honest from the outset.

Best of luck with the quote....

Thx Tonybouy for the advice and link. Since I dont know much about the different makes of boiler what is the current favourite make.

Also I have been reading about power flushing. Is this something that a new installed system should have done as standard. Should I expect it to be done included in the price or is it an extra I need to specify ?

Luis21x.... thx for the support m8... am feeling better now :)

if you have a specific boiler in mind then why didn't you tell him so at the outset?
tumbleweed.gif

Please explain who said that the tradesperson should not put in any effort.

tumbleweed.gif

It's come to something when you have to show a tradesman your cv so he can decide if he wants to work for you.
It actually isn't like that, but you do show signs of starting to understand. :D

We have a plumber in town who has been in business about 30 years. He was one of the first we asked. He came said he could get it done soon and would go and calculate sizes of rads and get back to us. He didnt.
Then simply calculate the sizes yourself and give him the specs. If you want to do it then there's plenty of help available on this forum.

When we call another plumber I tell them we had this other company out already and they all slate him off saying he's expensive and he's this and that. I tell them I'm annoyed he never got back to us and they will say dont worry we will get a price to you, then off they go never to be seen or heard from again.
Well you're as bad as each other, slating someone behind their back. I bet the second company could hardly for you to get off the phone so that they could start ignoring you.

Luckily I have never ridden one otherwise I probably would not have survived until now!
I'll lend you one of mine - you have only to ask.

Maybe its because a large percentage of plumbers pick and choose their work, and have a reputation for having little in the way of common manners
Bum.

All the poor guy wanted was a quote, and clearly they weren't being honest from the outset.
I'm honest. And I can honestly say that you're a genius.

Luis21x

Maybe its because a large percentage of plumbers pick and choose their work,

Please realise plumbers/heating engineers are no different to any other trade or business. Those of us that employ staff have a duty of care toward their well being, whether they are plumbers, shop workers, office workers ect

You would be suprised at the filthy conditions some customers live in, and expect us to work for them. Some of these would be asked to leave certain public places, and no one would bat an eye.

Tradesmen do visit these places but may not quote for the work. Its a polite way of saying "no fu*k*ng way am I working amongst the dog sh*te."
Dont think customer would like to be told you stink, you are known to be skint, I belive you are in dept ect. but they all expect installers to waste time writing quotes.

It has been mentioned in several threads, we do develope a second sense which sets alarm bells ringing, "keep away"

So as for picking and choosing, we have a right to decide who we work for and the customers have a right to chose who they use, works both ways.

ps This is not aimed at bikerguy. As I dont know him then its not my place to judge.

Thx Tonybouy for the advice and link. Since I dont know much about the different makes of boiler what is the current favourite make.

Also I have been reading about power flushing. Is this something that a new installed system should have done as standard. Should I expect it to be done included in the price or is it an extra I need to specify ?

Luis21x.... thx for the support m8... am feeling better now :)

Pick any of the WB greenstar CD1 range but not the 42 CDi as you won't need that one ,personally I'd go for the 37CDi if I were you.

Any of the Valliants-Ecotech plus 831 range and above-and the Veissmann 200 range, I think

Re PFing a new heating system? Good practice but not really necessary unless they use loads of self-cleaning flux LOL.

No,a decent clean with Sentinel X300 and well inhibited with Sentinel X100,IMO.

If you go with an approved installer of any of the above boiler manufacturers you will get five years warranty on the boiler and programmer.

Stick your postcode in here and you'll find an approved WB installer close to you. They have to respond BTW.

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/homeowner/products/find-an-installer

One of the technical issues is getting a drain for the condensate. It will mean going outside, round a wall and back inside.

I asked about using a non condensing boiler, but have been told these are not allowed / advised these days.

Can somebody confirm this is the case please.... just am looking at this as a possibility http://www.mrcentralheating.com/boilers.html

One of the technical issues is getting a drain for the condensate. It will mean going outside, round a wall and back inside.

I asked about using a non condensing boiler, but have been told these are not allowed / advised these days.

Can somebody confirm this is the case please.... just am looking at this as a possibility http://www.mrcentralheating.com/boilers.html[/QUOTE]

You can use a condensate pump or a Soak-away if there is a problem with a drain and no you can't use an SE boiler well you can if you get someone 'dodgy' to fit it,personally I wouldn't it's simply not worth the hassel.

BTW,I'll lay you 10/1 that is why your having problems finding someone.

If you must buy one of those boilers buy the Compact which is the same boiler but with two years warranty however the are poor boilers although in saying that I have the 35HE in my own home :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back