Putting a lamp where there no socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This this is a dumb question but someone was saying there is a product where you can have a lamp where there is no socket and powered wirelessly and I am said to him that a load of gobbish.

I hope I was right

Sponsored Links
I remember reading someone has transmitted POWER wirelessly using a certain frequency of microwaves, makes sense, but not yet developed, and besides would YOU want high powered microwaves flying about your living room? :LOL:

You can, however have a lamp where there's no socket.

9825705A59UC29913M.jpg

I wasnt sure if i heard right about the microwaves, so i said nothing, but it would seem i did hear right

Sponsored Links
There is a very old story that some people were caught tapping power from the BBC R2 Longwave transmitter (200KHz) using a tuned tank coil.

They were allegedly tracked down by plotting RF field strength contours which pinpointed their location.

It is certainly the case that old militarty field strength meters were little more than a tuned circuit and a light bulb - just tune into the tranmitter and adjust the transmitter for maximum brightness.

There is a very old story that some people were caught tapping power from the BBC R2 Longwave transmitter (200KHz) using a tuned tank coil.

A very heavy copper fence wire with both ends going into a shed. Claimed to be a prototype electric fence

They were allegedly tracked down by plotting RF field strength contours which pinpointed their location.

There were reports of a strange lobe in the propgation pattern.

It is certainly the case that old militarty field strength meters were little more than a tuned circuit and a light bulb - just tune into the tranmitter and adjust the transmitter for maximum brightness.

Still in use today.

IIRC Nikola Tesla proposed a method for wireless power transmission back in the 19th century (along with ray guns, warp speed travel and teleportation)

In fact I spotted a news article on the telly a few weeks ago. Some chaps have developed a way of transmitting very small current wirelessly by the use of eddy currents. it is enough to chrage up his mobile phone without it being attached to this charging unit. To be quite frank, when it has to sit within 10 cm of the charger, why not just plug it in!!!

To be quite frank, when it has to sit within 10 cm of the charger, why not just plug it in!!!

Explaining the benefits of wireless charging a brochure said

The plug / socket [for charging] will have to have some form of contact that will eventually wear out. Using wireless [or inductive] coupling for power will avoid failure of said plug / socket.

cynic that I am I almost believed that reason for using a high tech gizmo feature

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back