Query about Wired-In Table Lamps

That could be a fuse in a spur. Or a 2A MCB.

If you want to.

But you don't have to.

AFAIR, the sparks here (including me) reckon it's OK to have a 2A socket on a 5/6A circuit in the same way that a 13A socket goes on a 30/32A circuit.

See other threads here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=147457&start=0

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=112184

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6586&start=0[/QUOTE]

To be honest I personally think its ok too, apart from the fact that I suspect it is non compliant. That is until a casual comment of 'it trips if I have any lights on when I'm ironing' revealed this:

I have changed a few 2A sockets to 5A where money grabbing companies fail them on PIR's so I know there is significant discrepancy on opinions.

Although I have some reservations, in essence its ok to have 13A sockets on 32A [or bigger!] OCD's as the outlet is [or should be] protected by the fuse in the plug, my main concern here is the blase attitude of adding a DSSO on a 2.5mm spur for 2 large loads [typically washing machine & dishwasher] but this is adequately covered in so many other threads.

Sponsored Links
MK2ASocketVertical.jpg
And I thought sparks had a reputation for having the roughest wiring in their own homes. Nice work.

Thats a dual box i bet, not exactly hard is it, ;)
The screws should be horizontal actually, though i know RF will agree with you, though its unlikely to rain in your house hopefully. :)

The screws should be horizontal actually, though i know RF will agree with you, though its unlikely to rain in your house hopefully. :)

I do agree with Simon! It hopefully won't rain inside, but is stops the dust settling in the slots too.

Oh and they just look better vertically. :D

I've just realised that you're discussing whether the slots on the screws should be vertical!!
As the somewhat ignorant opening poster on this thread, that is very funny. The electrician is coming round in the morning for our quote on this. I'll be sure to mention that we want vertical screw slots to avoid dust and rain. And then I'll duck...

Sponsored Links
Boo to rocky! ;)

If the man who wires up his garage so beautifully in MICCS thinks the screws are OK, I'm happy!

I thought maybe I was being left-handed.

(Mrs Secure thinks my logic is different because I'm left handed...)

I've just realised that you're discussing whether the slots on the screws should be vertical!!
As the somewhat ignorant opening poster on this thread, that is very funny.
You may wish to have a spare pair of trousers handy:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=149585&start=0[/QUOTE]

I'd forgotten about that thread!! All my garage wiring is still working spot on, and I still haven't put the cover back on the DB yet :oops:

Been doing a bit more pyro this week

16774fea.jpg

2211417b.jpg

ca5cb1fc.jpg

c26b30b2.jpg

58b7e57c.jpg

80072603.jpg

:D

That could be a fuse in a spur. Or a 2A MCB.

If you want to.

But you don't have to.

AFAIR, the sparks here (including me) reckon it's OK to have a 2A socket on a 5/6A circuit in the same way that a 13A socket goes on a 30/32A circuit.

See other threads here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=147457&start=0

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=112184

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6586&start=0[/QUOTE]

To be honest I personally think its ok too, apart from the fact that I suspect it is non compliant. That is until a casual comment of 'it trips if I have any lights on when I'm ironing' revealed this:

I have changed a few 2A sockets to 5A where money grabbing companies fail them on PIR's so I know there is significant discrepancy on opinions.

Although I have some reservations, in essence its ok to have 13A sockets on 32A [or bigger!] OCD's as the outlet is [or should be] protected by the fuse in the plug, my main concern here is the blase attitude of adding a DSSO on a 2.5mm spur for 2 large loads [typically washing machine & dishwasher] but this is adequately covered in so many other threads.

Yep I'll go along with this and also accept that 2A sockets are ok on a 6A circuit even tough they are technically inadequately protected.
I too have been asked to replace 2A with 5A following EIRC's, what a lovely money spinner!

A clerk of works on a office block job in Leeds CC back in the 80's told me off for doing what you have done there, namely opening out P clips and using one for two cables.

I protested, but he wouldn't have it. Had to redo it using one clip for each cable.....

Wanted to attack him with the Kango..... :evil:

A clerk of works on a office block job in Leeds CC back in the 80's told me off for doing what you have done there, namely opening out P clips and using one for two cables.

I protested, but he wouldn't have it. Had to redo it using one clip for each cable.....

Wanted to attack him with the Kango..... :evil:

There is a big range of Pyro clips and I imagine RF uses the right ones for the job :)

It would seem saddles are available for fixing two cables now, but at the time I did that job, they weren't.

So I guess the work was outlawed on the basis that I was not using the correct fixings...

Yes you can get p clips which take 2 cables side by side, but I just open out normal P clips as it saves buying 2 bags of different clips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back