Query about Wired-In Table Lamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have 3 wall lights in our living room which we are thinking of replacing with table lamps.

Is it feasible to have the table lamps wired into the wall so that they can all be switched on and off from the wall switch, like in a hotel?

It would be my intention to get the work done by qualified electrician, just don't want to plan something if legally or technically it's a dumb idea!

Obviously it would involve lowering the height of where the power leaves the wall and adding some kind of 'socket' or faceplate so doesn't seem like a trivial job.

Thanks

Nick[/b]

Sponsored Links
Excellent! Thanks, didn't even know there was such a thing. Now I won't worry quite so much about sounding a plonker when I ask a professional to do it for us...

Sponsored Links
The wires unfortunately will most likely come down the wall, so if your electrician comes discuss how he proposes to do this.
Unsatisfactory jointing must not be plastered over and the wiring must be within a "safe zone" which may be created either by the new socket position or if the existing wiring is reused then the socket inline will hopefully be within the old safe zone.

The modified circuit may also need RCD protection now to conform with regs

@333Rocky333,
Thanks very much. On one wall the wires do indeed come down.
If our electrician needs to join wires, is there a 'satisfactory' way of joining them that can be plastered over?[/i]

You can use 5A if you wish, but you can also use 2A if you prefer, like I have in my lounge:

MK2ASocketVertical.jpg

Thank you!

I added the lighting sockets a while back.

I did have a mate round who commented that the screw slots should be horizontal... :evil: He didn't get a cup of tea... ;)

The rest of the house is much as it was when we moved in. I'd like to rewire, but haven't yet got round to it.

Plus, the added complication of a little disagreement between myself and the LABC officer... :rolleyes:

Do you find the MK screws are a bit dodgy sometimes? I have fitted a few switches in my house (i like the design) but every time the terminal screws have been tightened really tight and hard to undo, and seem to get caught on the surrounding plastic as I undo them.

Yeah, the latest gen. MK light switches are cheap as chips. Don't like them.

To my mind, quality has been heading floorwards since Logicplus range was introduced.

They've had to reduce prices to stay in the market, but instead of taking a cut off the bottom line, they've cheapened their products.

Shame that, thought it might have just been the ones I had bought from B&Q. ;)

Nope, the same sh!tty quality wherever you get them from... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back