Table lamp but no wall socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a table in our hallway but no accessible mains socket.

Would it be possible and safe to take power from a ceiling rose in the understairs cupboard next to the hall and connect a table lamp that would normally be plugged into the mains three pin socket to this?

(I know it is easy to take power from this rose to run another switched wall light - but a table lamp is what we want)

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi

We have a table in our hallway but no accessible mains socket.

Would it be possible and safe to take power from a ceiling rose in the understairs cupboard next to the hall and connect a table lamp that would normally be plugged into the mains three pin socket to this?

(I know it is easy to take power from this rose to run another switched wall light - but a table lamp is what we want)

Many Thanks
hi I'm not a spark, I would say with regulations and so on you shouldn,t but you could as long as you use trunking to protect the cable even though its in a cupboard.what you could do is put a 5amp round pin socket in and connect a round pin plug to your lamp, that way no one will be able to plug any other appliance in to it.(only use for light loads like a lamp) which is the best and safest soultion.
as I said I'm no spark before some expert contributes ;)

Providing there is a permanant live and neutral at the ceiling rose, then you could use the rose to supply a 2A or 5A socket for your table lamp, and fit the lamp with a matching plug.

You could supply the socket via a switch for easy turning on and off of the light if you want.

Sponsored Links
Is your lamp Class I? (ie needs an earth)

If so, make sure your lighting circuit also has an earth wire and that is is connected at the supply end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back