PVA ON PAINTED CEILING = PLASTER ON FLOOR!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Following my recent listing on blown render which sparked a heated debate I thought I'd try another one!!! ;)

Today I was reskimming an old artex ceiling (combed style) for a mate :rolleyes: He prepared (primed) the ceiling the day before by applying a coat of PVA / Unibond at the recomended consistency.

I started knocking up the finish whilst he then applied a second coat of PVA at the recomended consistency as directed on the tub so that I could apply the plaster while the PVA was still tacky.

All was going well until I was giving the ceiling (16 sqm) it's final trowel. The next thing I know the plaster blew in a small area where I was working. I tried to trim it back but it just kept falling off until the whole lot was on the floor much to my mates amusement!

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

It appears to have taken the paint with it so I guess I should have scratched the surface first!! Still we live and learn and my shoulder is killing me now as I had to do it all again!

So another chance to discuss PVA and it's PROPER uses :!: :!:

Sponsored Links
hello dougal well it looks like the pva worked in this case the only problem was the paint , scratching the surface would of provided the key ie mechanical and would of drawn your attention to the loose paint or the pva might of brought the paint back to life :eek:

Hi JB,

Thanks, next time I'll recommend reboarding to save the embarrasment. :oops:

I scratched 2 other ceilings today for him and had no problem, but my point is that before I found this site I had absolute faith in PVA solving all problems, and now I will use it along with a mechanical key to avoid further mishaps. Or just reboard!!

:idea:

Dougal ...If at first you dont succeed, in your case ...GIVE UP :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thats the point I was trying to emphasise before about pva. I use it on occasion but it is not a cure for all ills, and at time,s because folks have been led by the nose into believing it is the answer to all their problems then it gets used, abused and reccomended far to liberally.
A point in fact was a Handy man on the Screw fix forum adviseing it be mixed up with grit and painted onto a manhole cover in answer to a question how to make a manhole non slip. :cry:

Thanks legs,

Just goes to show;

A LITTLE knowledge can give a man confidence in being able to carry out a task, but whether he can carry out that task competently is another matter! ;)

Still we all have to start somewhere and I've several mouths to feed! (one of them being my horse. yee haa!)

:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back