PVA, render, out of date multi finish

U

User

Hi

Would I be right in thinking that PVA is used mostly where you're putting render on different suction surfaces?

I'm rendering an internal wall it's back to all bare brick and been metal brushed do I need to PVA it or is just good ol water okay?

I've got 4 bags of 6 month old multi finish is that okay to use is it just a case of running over it quicker than normal cus it sets quicker?

Sponsored Links
I made that mistake once. Was only out by a week or so but it was terrible to work with, had to bin the lot. Plaster is cheap enough, just get a new batch. Get down to your B&Q they keep it lovely and indoors and dry!

Sponsored Links
Interesting, only a week off :eek: suppose best to get a new batch then :cry:

Wow finishing is more sensitive and fragile than I thought :confused:
Damp storage is the big problem with plaster; if it's spent the last 4 months of a 6 month shelf life stored in a damp builders merchants tin shed (or even in your shed), at best it will be hard to work with & at worst will go off in the bucket as you mix it. :eek:

If in doubt, mix some up & see what happens! ;)

Edit
Agree with neds; I always get my plaster from B&Q; very good storage & competitive prices

yeah. tried used mutlifinish that's gone off quite a few times now.
But at the weekend i tried an unopened bag that i'd had for nigh on a year i guess. I knew i'd be pee'ing in the wind with it, but wasn't expecting it to go off inside of a minute when it hit the spotting board.
Lol i stuck the pointing trowel into it as i wandered over to the wall with my hawk, realised it was very stiff, went back to the spot board and couldn't pull the trowel out as it had all set solid.
I managed one wall end of 220x600 then threw the remaing 'rock' outside. Retriveing the pointing trowel after it had gone off was like King Arthur pulling out Excaliber! :confused:

Oddly, the new batch worked fine ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back