Query regarding ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently fitted a new ceiling light in a bedroom. After wiring the light in as per the instructions the light was working fine

In the evening when the light was turned on it again worked fine but two other lights on the same floor would not. When the bedroom light was switched off the other two lights would appear dim when switched on. Also there was power going through into the bedroom light.

I have taken the light down and wired it in again and the problem remains.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The new light is suitable for a dimmer switch but is not used as a dimmer - if that contributes to the problem at all

Sponsored Links
you have wired the blacks wrong. (probably) look in the wiki

Thanks for that - on the cables there was one black wire from one cable and two from another. Where should these be wired ?

Also the red wires are in a block with two wires on end and one the other. Should it be that all three wires should be in one end of the block ??

No. It does not matter as long as they all terminate in one block. Although it may be easier to handle if all cores go in the same end of the block.

If they are correctly identified, the two blacks are probable neutrals and the one on its own is a switch live. This should be labelled with red or brown depending. The neutrals go to the fitting N, the switch live to the fitting L, the earths to the fitting E. The loop should go in the terminal block on their own and not connected to anything else.

However, you need to make sure the neutrals and the switch live have been correctly I.D'd.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back