Query regarding plans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to get a 2 storey side extension on the house which will go through planning.

I know I need to get plans drawn up but do I need plans drawn up for building regs showing detail such as how much insulation to use, depth of foundations, plasterboard to use etc

Some builders say I do and some don't. A couple have said you don't need to pay for building regs drawings and instead the builder can submit some sort of building notice (Can't remember the term used)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There are two ways to get Building Regs Approval.

Full Plans Approval: You can get someone to produce a set of Building Regs drawings which are submitted to Building Control which are then approved. these drawings (as you say) show the specification of everything, waterproofing, insulation required etc etc. These drawings can be used by Builders to provide an accurate quotation from and form the basis of the contract you form with the builder.

'On a Notice': Alternatively the Builder can submit a 'Notice' which means the builder will be responsible to achieving everything in order to meet Building Control Approval. This approach is great provided your builder knows his stuff and is trustworthy. If not it can be a complete disaster. Only go this route if you really do have faith in your builder!

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingregs/getapproval/bregspresiteapprvl/

It will likely cost you about the same for regs drawings as for the panning drawings, you have to ask yourself if spending say £600 before the project begins will save you money should the builder make some cock ups or stiff you for extras that weren't shown on the non existent drawings he quoted from!

I know a fair few builders who won't even quote unless they have Fully Approved Building Regs drawings let alone build!

Remember, when all is said and done, lawfully, it is the homeowner who is responsible to ensure the works meet Building Control Approval not the builder.

Sponsored Links
Freddys summary covers it. Just to add: A lot depends on your builder and/or how much control you want over the result.

If you are 100% confident in the builder and they are completely trustworthy then building notice route is fine. Otherwise you should go full plans route.

With full plans route you have drawings and a specification which means you can get quotes form several builders and you know they will all be quoting for the same thing. You will also know more or less exactly what you are geting at the end of the job.

The drawings will cost but you will usually save that by having more control over the job and materials can be more accurately measured.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back